Chapter 1

Nine years ago

A little anxious boy running around his house, beyond excited. Today was the day his father would return home. The little boy was about eight years old, had black messy hair, brown eyes, freckles that were in the shape of a z, wearing a orange shirt with a red stripe, red shorts, and barefooted. A woman came and saw her son running around. She had auburn hair, brown eyes, wearing a pink sweater, a yellow undershirt, a blue skirt, and had house shoes on.

Delia scolded, "Ashton Satoshi Ketchum, stop running around and get your shoes on!"

Ash complained, "But why? I like running around barefooted!"

Delia was about to protest when there was a knock on the door. She answered it and standing there were two eight year old kids, one was a boy and the other was a girl. The boy had short auburn hair, green eyes, wearing a short sleeved purple shirt, blue jeans, and brown boots. The girl had long brown hair, blue eyes, wearing a short sleeved sky blue shirt, a red skirt, and yellow shoes. They were Gary Oak and Erika Jones.

Delia gushed, "Gary, Erika! Good to see you two!"

Gary muttered, "Whatever..."

Erika rolled her eyes in annoyance as she pointed out, "That's rude, Gary." She turned to Delia and asked, "Can Ash come out and play, Mrs. Ketchum?"

Delia was about to ask Ash but he came over when he heard Erika's name mentioned. Erika and Ash were best friends, almost like siblings.

Ash answered, "Sorry, Erika. I can't. My Dad is coming home today!"

Erika perked up and asked, "Wait, he is?"

Gary snuffed, "Must've lost at the Pokémon league. Typical Ketchum and you are gonna be just like him, Ash-y boy."

Ash hissed, stomping his foot, "Stop calling me Ash-y boy!"

Erika decided to change the subject before it got ugly, "Did he win at the Pokémon League?"

Delia smiled as she nodded simply. Ash's eyes widen at this as did Gary's.

Both boys blurted out, in surprise, "He did?!"

Delia responded, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Ash, but he wanted to surprise you."

Ash gushed, "This is the best day ever! Dad is a Pokémon Master!"

Erika added, "And we get to try to be Pokémon Masters ourselves in two years!"

Gary snuffed again, "You two won't stand a chance against me because I'm gonna be a master first."

Ash made a fist as he determined, "We'll see about that!"

Erika groaned as Delia giggled.

She asked the older woman, "Are all boys like this Mrs. Ketchum?"

Delia giggled, "I'm afraid so, sweetie. All boys are like this."

Erika vowed, "I am never gonna talk to a boy after I leave."

Delia laughed more as Ash asked her, "Wait, does that mean that you won't talk to me?"

Erika reassured, "You'll be the only exception."

Gary asked, "And me?"

Erika deadpanned, "Like I said, Ash will be the only exception."

Gary pouted. Both Delia and Ash busted up laughing at this. Gary stood there and took it, rolling his eyes at most of it. Erika eventually started to laugh, joining Ash and Delia.

Sooner or later, Gary also gave in and started to laugh as well. And for those moments, everything was right with the world and nothing could go wrong.