02 || The Picture Perfect

THE FIRST DAY OF HIGH-SCHOOL FELT completely different after meeting Felix

THE FIRST DAY OF HIGH-SCHOOL FELT completely different after meeting Felix. He would throw up his arm and ask questions that made the rest of the class laugh or frustrated Miss Whitman. I don't know why I thought he'd be a jerk, most rich guys were. Not that I even knew many rich guys.

     After art class finished we collected our things and on my way out the door Felix smiled at me.

     "See you around, Maggie!" he said.

     I lifted up my hand to wave at him. I willed my mouth to say something, to be charming and social, but no sound came out.

     Lunchtime rolled around. It wasn't like lunchtime at my old school; the cafeteria was sleek, modern, and trendy. Stark whites with vibrant greens, plenty of fresh plants, and potted herbs grown by the students themselves using hydroponics. Scientific, but artfully beautiful at the same time.

     Meals came encased in black bento boxes and there was a box for vegans, gluten-allergies, nut-allergies, and every other type of food requirement. Water was free, filtered, and in fresh abundance. It felt like I was on a science research spaceship.

     "Wow," Lizzy said at my side.

     We were in line paying for our lunch boxes and still in shock about how different PS&A was from regular schools.

     "This school is kind of like . . . a job. It reminds me of the cafeteria at my dad's work," Lizzy observed.

     I nodded. "This place offers you a job with Paulsen Research after graduation. So, I guess it is like raising up your own employees in a weird kind of way."

     "All I want is to work in the same department as my dad someday," her eyes lit up. "Can you picture that? A father-daughter duo taking on the world of chemistry and improving humanity together."

     "My dad wishes I was more like you," I said and hunted down the nearest empty table for us.

     "Are your parents still giving you a hard time about studying art?" Lizzy asked while opening up her lunch to sample it.

     I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't really want to talk about it so I changed the subject. "I met Felix Paulsen. He's in my art class."

     "What?" Lizzy choked. "What was he doing in art class? His dad's company focuses on scientific research."

     "Maybe he doesn't want to walk in his dad's shadow," I was talking more about myself than Felix.

     Lizzy looked stung. She took what I said in a completely different way. "Well some of us are perfectly okay being in our parents' shadow."

     "I didn't mean it like that, Lizzy," I said apologetically.

     "I know," she said and smiled to let me know it really was okay. "I guess Natalie isn't joining us for lunch."