Chapter 2

Cato

---------------------------------------------

Junius was a hard man to work under, especially someone with Cato's intelligence. Junius' was the last kings son but was removed from the succession by his father; this made the already twisted Junius' even more twisted, to the extent that Cato no longer mentioned the King in his presence, simply refering to him as uncle instead (for King Harald was both their uncle, Junius through blood and Cato marriage).

 Cato was the favourite nephew of Queen Tabitha, he unlike his male cousins was not attracted or fanciful towards the way of the warrior; preffering instead to prevent the war his cousins wanted to fight in. Tabitha had given him the posistion as the simple Junius advisor, forty years older than him at the age of fifteen until 'something more befitting of his talents came up'.  

Today Cato was late for a meeting involving Junuis and Janus, the Elfish ambassador, no doubt he'd get a clap round the back of the head when it ended for being late from Junuis; Cato knew he thoroughly enjoyed beating him. The reason for his lateness was his uncle. The King had given him a book to translate, written by a human named Aristole which had floated onto the shores of pilgrims bay; his uncle did not have a good grasp of the written word and had a sudden interest in the subject of humans since they'd grown in number on his shores. He had, Cato noted become sincere towards his new subjects and their human minds.

The meeting was to be held in one of the Kings meeting rooms, why Cato could not comprehend for Junius did not have the status to claim such a room. Nevertheless he opened the door to the west tower room only to be blinded by the setting sun - it was a early evening meeting.

        Janus sat in the middle of the table, (the only furnishing in the room), whilst Junuis sat at the head of the table in Haralds chair. A fine piece of carpentry, a gift from the Dwarfish king of Belenus on his first jubilee, Cato thought Janus did not have the physical strength or character to fill the chair, showing the wisdom of his fathers decision. He wore court clothes, a blue tunic that reached his knees (although the table hid his legs Cato knew this as it was his favourite style of clothing, the same style which Cato was forced to wear by Junuis); a small amount of diamonds in the shape of a crown were embroided upon the front pocket of his tunic, signifying him as a substantial royal relation. Whilst Cato had his fathers emblem, of a wyvern (a two legged dragon with a barbed tail) with a crown in its jaws bearing his fathers sword but his was in thread not diamonds.

Janus the Elfish ambassador was an ugly elf, he had stopped speaking on Cato's arrival and looked up at him over his mountainous nose; his eyes a watery grey and patchy hair pulled back into a tight ponytail made Cato wonder how such a man could get a posistion. That was until he spoke.

"Your late boy!" Cato had to hide his shocked expression, for the elfs voice was deep and pounding, causing the word "boy" to echoe around the room and his head until Cato took his place on the left of Junuis; the scraping of the wooden chair apparently stopped "boy" in its tracks.

Junuis, Cato noted had a smug smile upon his face and did not correct the elf of his error; for he Cato was not a boy he was a Lord. But he could see Junuis was happy in being the superior for a change.

"Why are you late boy." Barked Janus, Cato tried to think of a plausable excuse but "boy" once more bounced all around his head causing any plausable thought out.

"I was reading Your Grace." He mumbled, and pulled parchment and ink from his bag.

"Reading what? What could be so important as to make you late for this meeting. Your master needed you." Cato felt something snap at the word 'master', rather foolishly he acted uncerimoniously towards the ugly elf.