2: The Start

"-And the nonfiction books are alll the way in the back left shelves! Do you have all of that?"

"Yes ma'am! Thank you so much, I'm beyond excited to start working here!"

(Y/N) tied the mandatory work apron around her waist, ready for the day to begin. The apron seemed unnecessary in the book-shop, but who was she to complain?

{FLAAAAASSSHHBAAAACCKK}

Just the day before, a "HELP WANTED" sign perched in the window of the quaint bookstore on the outskirts of town. Being a girl whose only activity was school, (Y/N) decided to walk in and ask if the position was still open.

She was greeted by the scent of books. The musty smell you can expect from a book store, along with some EXTREMELY heavy perfume.

"Excuse me? Is anyone here?" She stalked out into the back, reaching the front desk to find no one there.

"I'm right down here, dear." 
(Y/N) gave out a yelp of surprise as she looked down to see a frail old woman in a ridiculously small chair, one that could only fit a person as small as she.

"H-hello! I'm here about the help wanted sign that's in the window?" The old woman's face lit up, smiling up at the young teen.

"Ah, wonderful, wonderful! Are you here to apply for the job?"

"That depends," (Y/N) said, scratching the back of her neck, "on what exactly the application is."

A clipboard with paper on the front and a pen appeared on the desk in front of the girl.

"Fill out this, along with the days and time you can make it. When you're finished, ring the bell!" The elderly woman pointed to the small bell to the left on the counter, and walked into the back room.

'What an odd old lady' the girl thought, reading over the paper.

First name, last name:
(Y/N) (Y/L/N)

Occupation:
Student

Phone number:
555-1860

Times available:
'Well, if I get out of school around 3:00, and it takes about 30 minutes to get here...'
(Y/N) thought, scribbling down the dates and times she came up with in her head.

Hobbies:
'What do hobbies have to do with anything?' The thought left her mind as soon as it entered, not thinking it was important as she jotted down some unimportant hobbies of herself.

Ringing the small bell, (Y/N) allowed herself to look at the place she might be working at. At first, all she could see were books.

Shelves upon shelves of the paperbacks and hardcovers,
all arranged in isles depending on their genres.

But the more she looked, the more she saw.

Family photos of the old woman lined the walls, some with children, others with a young her, and a man. A family picnic, a wedding day, along with some simple group pictures. Small tables were located around the edges of the shop, piles of books stacked on each.

The whole place had a very cozy vibe, coaxing a walking passerby to come in and view the shop.

'How many people come in here anyways? And how has she kept after this place for so long?'

"Excuse me dear! Could you come to the front please?" (Y/N) hurried to the front to see the old woman reading through the paper she'd just filled out.

"You seem to be perfect for this job! I can only pay you-"

"Ma'am, I'm not here to earn money. I simply want to work here. I'll be a...volunteer, if you need an official title." The old woman gave a large grin, staring fondly at the girl in front of her.

"Your such a kind girl! But you are an employee, so you'll be getting paid like anyone else. But be sure to come into the store whenever you can. I know school can be difficult, so don't think of this as your main priority." (Y/N) nodded with an understanding expression and took the apron that was sitting on the desk in her hands.

"This is the only uniform accessory you'll need to wear for you to be classified as an employee here. come in anything else you'd like."

"Sounds good!" She checked her watch and looked at the old woman apologetically. "I need to get home tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow! Is that alright?"

"Of course it is! See you then, dear!" The tinkling of the door signaled her leave as she walked across the sidewalks to her home.

{Present}

"You'll start by taking this new shipment of books and putting them onto the shelves." The old woman gestured to a large box by the door of the shop. "They're assigned by genre, each has their own label on the shelves. Other than this you'll be working the desk when I'm unable to, along with putting the older books in the box behind the desk."

"Yes ma'am! Doesn't sound like anything I can't handle..." She walked over to pick up the box, stumbling slightly due to the heavy weight. The woman chuckled in amusement before walking to help unburden her load. (Y/N)'s eyes widen slightly as she watches the small woman assist her.

"You don't think Ive been able to run this place without gaining
a bit of strength, did you?" They both shared a laugh before shifting the weight so it fully laid in the girl's arms.

"Is there anything else I should know?" (Y/N) asked, wanting to make sure everything was set.

A dark look came over the woman's face, looking (Y/N) in the eyes.

"Well, there is one thing..." The woman furrowed her eyebrows as if thinking before looking up again.

"We have a regular customer who comes in often. He seems normal enough, but I've heard terrible rumors and stories about him. It's probably none of my concern, but be careful, alright?" (Y/N) laughed, nodding.

"I'll keep a sharp lookout for any suspicious activity."