« six: eye contact »

________________________________________

『 prompt six: eye contact 』

"Write about two people seeing each other for the first time."
________________________________________

Griffin Reynolds was new to Riverside high. He had just moved across states with his siblings from where he lived with his mother, to live with his dying father.

Griffin didn't like his father, not in the slightest bit. To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that the cancer was taking away his life, he probably wouldn't have moved to live with his father at this point in his life. Griffin was happy with what he had in Michigan — in his home.

He was slightly over six feet tall after hitting a sudden growth spurt, so adjusting to his sudden height was a new challenge for him. He was incredibly awkward, trying to adjust and walk comfortably. His skinniness didn't help much in taking away from his unbalance in his steps.

When he walked into homeroom, Griffin wasn't sure what to expect. He had already been the alien of the school, receiving the curious glances and stares given to him by his new classmates.

Griffin tried to keep his head down, to avoid everyone else. He just wanted to get through the day, so he could return home to hide away in his bedroom he shared with his older brother, avoiding his so called family.

He was early getting to homeroom, the first one to arrive. He spent so much time worrying about finding the classroom and getting a head start on finding his way around that he had to deal with shuffling in to an empty classroom, carefully selecting a seat that hopefully didn't — but probably did — belonged to someone else.

Griffin avoided the curious eyes as they walked into the classroom by doodling on the cover of his new notebook. People around him whispered carefully as they took their seats, scattered around their classroom.

As Griffin looked up at the clock above the door, someone walked in. His eyes couldn't help themselves, focusing on the sudden movement, and they dropped to the doorway.

Griffin's eyes locked with what he knew to be the most beautiful girl in the world. She smiled, her cheeks red as she quickly hurried into the classroom and took her seat, which just so happened to be the one in front of Griffin.

Griffin felt his cheeks, and found them to be hot. He rolled his eyes at himself and the thoughts came to his mind rather quickly — maybe he'd be able to find home here in Riverside after all — a home in sky blue eyes.