Chapter Eight

Scarlett made me come over her house about an hour earlier than everyone because she wanted me to help set up. I told her that her maids could help her set up, but then I came over and helped her anyway. Personally, I don't know why Scarlett always does extra stuff whenever she has people over. When I have friends over all I do is clean my room and make sure they have food to eat—and sometimes I don't even do that. I tell people to bring some money if they want food because I don't like paying for people. Call me crazy, but it gets tiring paying for people. I also don't have the funds to pay for everybody. I guess Scarlett doesn't mind because she does have the funds.

"Alright, that's everything." Scarlett looks at the food on the counter of her basement kitchenette.

"You're so extra." I speak my thoughts out loud.

"No, I'm not." She snickers. "I just like people to have fun."

"I guess you're right." I say, sitting down on a bar stool. "I think I'm gonna spend the night, since it's the weekend. I don't have anything to do."

"Wow, I feel so loved. You only want my company whenever your bored." She says sarcastically.

"Girl, you're like the only friend that I have, be quiet." I wave her off.

"I got a stash of alcohol—well, my dad does. He doesn't know that I know where he keeps his alcohol." She smirks.

"I'm not drinking, so I don't know why you're telling me."

"You're no fun." Scarlett pouts. "But you're my best friend, so I have no choice but to love you."

"Just don't post nothing on social media. Yo little cheer squad would be quick to snitch on you." I laugh.

"Girl, I know." She playfully rolls her eyes. "But they are the main ones who do it. They post it on their social media and everything."

"No one snitches on them because they're white." I shrug my shoulders.

"You right." She nods her head.

It's not too long after everyone arrives over Scarlett's house. My heart skips a beat when I see Hayden walk through the basement door. He looks attractive in a plain grey shirt, joggers, and the man bun he always has as a hairstyle. He smiles at me when he notices me glance at him. I smile back, but it doesn't last for long because Sabrina walks in right behind him.

It may sound delusional, but Sabrina isn't very fond of me. Honestly, I've done nothing to her, yet she continues to give me certain looks whenever she looks at me. She narrows her eyebrows a bit and gives me the coldest look. She doesn't even know me, so she has no right to look at me like that. Sure, I'm upset she's Hayden's girlfriend, but I don't go around giving her nasty looks.

"Oh Hayden, I brought that CD for you." I hold up a finger to him. I go grab the CD out of my bag and hand it to him.

"Thanks." He nods his head and places it beside him.

"I was wondering why that CD wasn't in your car." Sabrina says to Hayden, placing a hand on his forearm. "I was actually kinda looking forward to listening to it."

I'm not a dumb girl; I know she's trying to subtly show me that Hayden is her  man. I don't like girls like that—the ones who do extra things as if every girl wants their boyfriend. In this case, I do think her boyfriend is cool but I know he's off limits, so I'm not going to try anything at all. I'm not the type of girl who flirts with guys if I know they are taken. I know my boundaries and she should know that I have respect for her.

It seems like she has some major trust issues, though. If she can't trust him being around other girls, then they don't need to be together. Relationships are supposed to have a base of communication and trust. I'm not in a relationship myself because I have trust issues. Right now Sabrina just appears as the needy girlfriend who is annoying the crap out of her already agitated boyfriend. I can tell he is irritated because he keeps sighing.

"Babe, no you weren't." He shakes his head. "You don't even like The 1975."

Sabrina looks down at the ground, cocking her head to the side. She's probably trying to come up with some sad excuse because Hayden did just make her look bad.

"Okay." Scarlett's friend, Dustin, claps his hands. "You said you had alcohol, right Scarlett?"

"Yeah, I'll go get it right now." She nods her head. I wish I could walk away from this awkward situation too.

"Don't drink too much." I hear Hayden whisper to Sabrina.

"Babe, I'm not." She rolls her eyes and takes her hand away from his arm.

They were all lovey-dovey the first time I saw them together. What happened between now and then to have had them acting like this?

Scarlett returns with the alcohol and pours a shot for everyone who is drinking. She skips me because she knows I don't drink. Hayden refuses her offer and eyes Sabrina when she gladly accepts it.

Five shots later and nearly everyone who drank is wasted. They're all laughing at nothing in particular and everyone is having a good time. I guess they're all lightweight because last time I checked five shots isn't anything. However, I also don't drink, so I guess I really don't know how much is too much.

"Man, we're freaking drunk." Scarlett giggles. "Nobody drives home tonight, everyone is staying. No car accidents on my watch."

"You know, I think we should call it a night right now." I chuckle at my best friend, who is very wasted. I grab the bottle from her hand and used plastic cups off the table to help clean up.

"I'll help you." Hayden says, grabbing the rest of the cups. He turns around and kisses Sabrina on the cheek. "Go lay down, babe."

I walk over to the kitchenette area and place the alcohol on the counter. I throw away the red solo cups, before Hayden comes over and joins me.

As I clean up everything, I notice him looking at me. I want to tell him to kindly fuck off, but I think that would be rude. There's no reason why he should be staring at me, not when he has a girlfriend laying down not too far away from us.

"I'm sorry about Sabrina. She gets jealous sometimes and she starts to act a different way. So sorry she was so rude to you." He says sincerely.

"Oh really, I hadn't noticed." I say sarcastically.

"Kelly, I'm being serious." He sighs. "I swear sometimes she just does too much."

"It's okay, I accept your apology." I throw a crumpled up napkin at him and laugh. "Now help me clean up."

•••