Chapter Three

Picture of Scarlett.

"I swear everyday we lit yeah, everyday we lit yeah. You can't tell me shit, yeah. 'Member I was broke yeah, now I'm gettin' rich, yeah!" Scarlett and I belt the lyrics to a song playing on the radio.

What better way is there to pull up to school other than loud music? We're those types of people and we don't really care what anyone has to say about it. The windows are up and she has the air conditioner on, so the only thing people are able to hear is the loud thumping of the music. They can't really make out the words of what the rapper is saying in the song.

Scarlett parks her car and we get out to head into the school. On our walk from the parking lot to the sidewalk, I spot Hayden. He's getting out of a white Hummer with black wheels. He even drives a sexy car.

"Look, there's Hayden." She points to him.

"I see." I nod my head. "Where's Sabrina? Does he not pick her up for school?"

"She goes to Clayville East." Scarlett explains.

We go to Clayville West High School, which is on the west side of Clayville. The school where Sabrina goes to is on the opposite side of Clayville. I don't think I could date a person that goes to a different school than me because I have trust issues. If I'm not there to keep tabs on my boyfriend, then I'd be too anxious over the idea of dating him. It's not that I wouldn't trust him, I wouldn't be able to trust the people around him.

"She must trust him. I couldn't date somebody from a different school." I snicker.

"I guess she does. I mean, he seems like a good guy." Scarlett shrugs her shoulders.

"Hey, Hayden!" She calls his name and his head turns around to face us.

"What the hell are you doin'?" I whisper to her, grabbing her arm.

"Waiting on him so he can walk in with us, chill out." She shrugs my hand off of her. I should just walk in the school without them, but I kind of want to walk in with him too.

Hayden walks over to us rather quickly. Somehow, he makes a school uniform look good. He looks good in a pair of khakis and a white polo shirt. His outfit is simple, yet he manages to make it look more than average. His black hair is in a bun at the top of his head—which seems to be his to-go-to style—and he looks like a charming schoolboy. A schoolboy I definitely might have a crush on. I need help—he's a taken schoolboy. He is completely off the market, but he is so cute.

"Hey Scarlett," he waves to her, then looks at me and nods his head. "Kelly."

"Hey." Scarlett and I say in unison.

We continue walking to the front entrance of the school. I notice how Hayden makes his way in between both of us. I accidentally brush his arm as we walk next to each other. I mentally freak out because this isn't the first time this has happened—only the other time it was our fingers. Hayden must know the affect he has on girls. The guy is drop dead gorgeous and he walks around like he doesn't even know it. Albeit, I guess that's a good thing that he's not cocky. I personally am turned off by guys who are cocky. Being confident is great; I would know, I'm confident myself. However, being cocky and full of yourself is definitely not the way to go.

"So, what lunch hour do you have?" Scarlett asks him, attempting to make conversation.

Scarlett knew him before me apparently, but it's not like they are best friends. I'm sure she still has a lot to learn about him because she's really only friends with his girlfriend. It's not bad to get to know him either. Maybe she can keep tabs on him for Scarlett. That's what I would want her to do.

"4th hour." He says. He looks so cool with one strap of his backpack on his shoulder and the other dangling off on the side.

"Oh bummer, we both have 5th hour." Scarlett points between herself and I.

"Maybe we have classes together." He shrugs his shoulders. "I don't feel like getting out my schedule while walking, though."

"That's why I take a picture of mine and set it as my screensaver." I say.

"That's clever." He looks at me and I nearly drop everything just to stare into his green eyes. "I'm gonna start doing that."

"I have mine memorized already." Scarlett points out.

"Of course you do." I roll my eyes and laugh.

"What?" She laughs. "I like to be prepared, too."

"Yeah, but who's really tryna remember all those classes when you can just come to school early and find them then?" I chuckle.

I'm not going to lie. I'm a senior now and I still don't know where almost every class is in the high school. I'm the type of person who has to come early, so I can navigate where my locker is and my classes are beforehand. I don't remember it all the night before.

"You seriously remembered your whole schedule?" Hayden asks her and she nods her head. "I couldn't do it."

"So, Hayden, do you play any sports?" I change the subject.

"Nah, I'm not into sports like that. I can play with friends, but I'm not one for school teams." He shakes his head.

But you look so fit, I want so say. However, I don't because I realize that boys are just blessed with abs and muscles, while girls have to work for theirs. Some guys don't immediately have a great body as soon as they hit puberty, but most of them do. Girls just gain more weight and get curves to fit in all the right places. Guys don't know how lucky they are.

"Me either." I say. "But Scarlett is."

"For real, Scarlett? I didn't even know." He says with a shocked tone.

"You never asked." She laughs. "But yeah, I'm a cheerleader for both football and basketball. Practice starts right after school, sadly. Which reminds me, Kelly, you should find a ride if you don't wanna ride the bus. I'm sorry, it totally slipped my mind. I would let you drive my car home and come back to get me, but my parents would kill me."

"No, that's cool. I'll take the bus." I wave her off. I'm not one of those brats who think they're too good to ride the bus home.

My parents let me use their cars sometimes, but I couldn't get either one this morning, so that's how I ended up riding with Scarlett. My parents think it's best that they don't buy me a car right now because I won't be able to use it my first year on a college campus. They said they'll help me buy one after that though, if I can't afford one myself. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to afford one though because I plan on getting a part time job while being in college.

"You need a ride home?" Hayden asks.

I do, but I'll feel weird if I'm getting a ride from him.

"I'll take the bus." I shake my head.

"I can give you a ride home." He shrugs his shoulder. "It's not a problem."

"No, there is a problem. Her name is Sabrina. I don't think it's a good idea giving me a ride home if you have a girlfriend."

"Kelly, it's not like he's asking for your hand in marriage. Just take the ride home." Scarlett rolls her eyes.

"Right." Hayden laughs.

"Alright, fine, I'll take the ride. Thanks."