CHAPTER 7 : California *Part 2*

Cody

I could feel the anxiety within Ezra as we listened intently to his mother who seemed to nervous. She was beautiful, unlike the image I'd created of her. She seemed so kind,as though she could never make her child move away from her,but I guess even the prettiest of people could vomit the worst act.

I understood her need to stay with her husband,yet I couldn't see why she couldn't have hope that he wouldn't just leave her like that.

"Richards mom helped with that."

"How?" Ezra inched closer to her as though a secret was about yo be revealed.

"She is a Caster," she revealed whipping her tears," And a part of the Caster council." I gapped knowing how much power that meant she had.

"Does he know that his mom happens to be what he hates most?" I asked and she looked at me.

"It's part of the reason why they don't get along,in a way,it's what brought he and I together." She gave a small smile. "Which is why Ezra never met any one of our families."

"That's quite the coincidence. You didn't have to hide much,then." She grimaced.

"In a way, he never knew I was magical,though I was born human like him." She sighed.

"Anyway, Richard can't have kids." She said sadly,frowning," but had been in denial, blamed me,it was a dark time and a child seemed the only way to revive our love so I went to his mom behind his back. She was a good woman,while there I met Richards brother," Ezra's mom flushed then. "And we, yeah..." She glanced over at Ezra and so did I. His eyes were screwed his eyes shut and grimanced.

"So,really Richard's brother is my father whish means Richard is my uncle." Ezra stated and nodded. "Is he still alive?" His mom frowned.

"He died when you turned 6. He...uh, he was burned alive." I saw Ezra tilt his head.

"He had long hair,to his shoulder, didn't he?" He asked.

"Yeah,have you seen him." Ezra's head fell down and he sighed.

"I had a dream of a man when I first got to aunt Mia's,shoulder length hair,wearing robes,and being burned alive." He said and bit his lip.

"He got into a fight with a powerful man." His mom said."sad really."

"Did you love?" There was a pause. Ezra's mom seemed to be lost in thought and swallowed.

"Once," she nodded and looked in his eye. "I did."

Somehow we were left in silence.

"Mom?" Ezra said after a moment of our silence. "What gem is grandma looking for." I felt mentally exhausted at this point. I remembered his mention about the gem one night while we were falling asleep so I perked up.

"It's the gem she used to steal my magic,the one I kept because A.rightfully it is mine, B.I needed to have some form of protection." She sounded angry now. "You saw me hide it once and the spell your grandma placed on your memory allowed it to be actually hidden. The gem isn't as strong as it used to  so it can only do some much,in the right hands it could be capable of terrible things."