Day 1 - Part B

"My family..." I brought my knees up to my chest, and sighed. I could smell the salt water on Keith, and it made me feel dizzy. The smoke from the fire they'd lit to cook dinner not to long ago was blowing into my face, burning my eyes.

At least there was an excuse for the watery eyes.

I took a deep breath, and I could sense everyone moving as I tried to think of where to start. Pidge placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. I flashed a weak smile, and took a deep breath. "I am an only child... was an only child. I guess. My mom was... pretty cool, from the little bit I can remember. She was always smiling, smiling through rain clouds and dark sky's. That kind of metaphorical stuff. She had a low end job. Always did I guess. We were always moving."

"Running I think is the better word. My dad was this... crazy drunk. He had this whole image of a perfect family. I never saw what one looked like. I never understood what was so important about it. He'd always find us. Then the next day we'd escape somehow. Some way. He'd beat my mom senseless when he found us. Saying things like "don't you ever leave me again", "I thought we talked about this", or "I'm hurting you, because I love you"." I scoffed, and brought my legs even closer.

"Old fool wouldn't know love if it smacked him over the head... I don't blame him though. He was a war hero after all. I'd seen picture of him before he became a drunk. He looked like a hero, the guy to crack jokes, and throw big barbecue parties. Always making people smile. About ten years ago CPS found me and my mom. Said she was unfit to care for me in the state we were living in."

"They weren't wrong." I stopped, feeling something, but nothing at the same time. I shook my head. Keeping my eyes on the sand. "They sent me to a foster home. Hell they probably sent to to thousands. They were only in on it for the money. I havn't seen my mom since, but there's still a piece of her. In here." I tapped the side of my head. The rustic memory of her dancing in the kitchen, singing to the crackling radio. "I never understood. At least not then..."

Everything was quiet. It was as if the world was holding it's breath. The only noise to be heard was the cracking fire logs. I watched with sad eyes, and finally looked up. Everyone was staring at the fire. Lance and Hunk had a few tears rolling down their cheeks. I stood up, and walked towards the water, throwing myself down in the damp sand.

I sat with my feet in the water, and slowly laid down, staring up at the starry sky. Everyone started to move. I could hear people saying goodnight, tents shifting, water being splashed on the fire. The world was dark, and I wasn't afraid. The moon was full, and reflecting light onto me.

It was surprisingly cold, and I wasn't wearing anything more than jeans and a tshirt. I could hear someone walking towards me, but I didn't care to talk to anyone, so I closed my eyes. The footsteps stopped right by my head. I slowly opened my eyes, curious.

Matt hovered over me. "Hey."

"What?" I asked, sitting up. He sat next to me and handed me a hoodie. I pulled it on, not caring that it was probably his.

"That sounds like a pretty rough life." He said after a few moments.

"Yeah, well I was hesitant at first. Thought I might as well. Hope I didn't freak you all out."

"No. I just want you to know we all have problems-"

"Sure, cuz everyone has a crazy drunk parent in the family, might as well have tried to kill me too." I sighed, placing my head on my knees.

"No, but we've all had struggles too. You're not alone out here." He looked at me with soft eyes, and an angelic smile. I resisted the urge to scoff. I clenched my fists, and huffed angrily.

"What kind of struggles could you have gone through?" My tone wasn't very kind, and Matt pursed his lips tight together.

"I'll start with Lance. He was the youngest of his family, and came out as bisexual at fifteen, his parents kicked him out, and he lived with Pidge and I, barley made it into college, hasn't seen his parents since. Hunk's parents died in a car accident, he barley made it out alive himself, he ended up living with his deaf grandma. Shiro's dad died in war, the death drove his mom crazy, and he was sent to live with his aunt. Keith's mom left shortly after he was born, and his dad didn't stick around long either. He's been going from foster home to foster home for the last twelve years." Matt finished, keeping his eyes glued to the water.

"That's unfortunate."

"And I'm sure Pidge told you about our mom... and how our dad recently disappeared."

"She didn't. I'm sorry about your dad." I whispered. I was so blind, I couldn't see that everyone here was friends for a reason. They could all share their pain. "Sorry about my assumption."

"It's okay, we normally don't get new people in our group so you wouldn't fully understand. We've all pretty much been together our entire lives. Pidge's your roommate right?"

"Yeah. We get along pretty good, she helps with my homework sometimes. I have a bit of dyslexia. Some days I can't read very good." He placed a hand on my shoulder smiling.

"We all have our days." I nodded slowly, and he stood up, with the sun looking to be inches from disappearing, the sky was vibrant as ever, and beautiful to the eye. Matt held out his hand to me. I took the offer, and he pulled me to my feet, and I found myself face to face with him. "Want to take a walk before the light's gone for the day?"

"Sure."

We started walking along the bend of the beach, silence filled the air, aside from the slight whisper of the wind. The breeze caught the loose clothing we were both wearing, trailing it in the wind. I decided to try and break the ice for once. "You know you're different."

"How so?" He asked, smirking, like he already knew the answer to his question.

"You with your terrible attempt to flirt. You're not a just a needy child like I'd first imagined." He laughed with me, and shrugged.

"That's reassuring." The silence between us was back, and I found my hands fiddling nervously.

"Do Keith and Lance have a thing for each other?" I asked, the idea had come into my head now that I knew Lance was bi, and I was curious.

"No, but we like to tease them, they're almost always fighting, so we screw them over every chance we get." I shook my head, finding a genuine smile.

"You guys sound like a horrible influence. Maybe I should leave." I said in a joking manner. Matt shrugged, turning away.

"You'll be missing the best vacation of your life." I rolled my eyes, and started walking towards the tents.

"Sure. I'm going to sleep. See you tomorrow." I waved as I head into the tent.

"Goodnight." I laid down next to Pidge on the sand, yawning. The day was suddenly catching up to me. I heard Pidge shifting next to me.

"(Y/N)?" She whispered groggily.

"Sh, go back to sleep." I smiled. She nodded slowly, and flopped back down, tired. I followed her lead, and found myself in a similar state. Practically catatonic.