Chapter 17

I was pulled to my make-believe scenery the moment my eyes had closed. What stood before me was my mother, and I was almost shocked to see her.

"Osoroshi," she began, looking distraught. "I told you to stop using Dream Walker, didn't I?"

"Oh, so that was you," I replied, crossing my arms over my chest. "I don't really trust the voices I hear anymore."

"I can understand why, but you wouldn't be here and in so much pain if you had listened to me."

"Since when are you keen on mothering me?" I spat, eyes narrowing.

My mother merely sighed and leaned to one side. "He was speaking to you, wasn't he?"

"Who's 'he?'" I questioned.

"Dream Walker," my mother replied like it was obvious. "He was talking to you, yes?"

I blinked a few times before nodding hesitantly. Mom sighed again and pressed her fingers against her forehead as she thought.

"Mom.." I said finally, catching her attention instantly by the unsure tone that I had used. "What's been going on? You called it 'he' like it was a person. Is it a person?"

"I already explained to you that Dream Walker is like a virus," my mother repeated, though the look on her face told me that that isn't what she wants to tell me.

"You aren't being honest with me," I accused and her shoulders sagged. "You have to tell me."

I quickly walked up to her and took her by the arms, a look of urgent desperation crossing my face. "Please. I can't keep going on like I'm a puppet for this quirk. I can't keep hurting Tenya. If you've changed at all you'd at least tell me what I'm supposed to do."

"Osoroshi," she said painfully, squinting her eyes before squeezing them shut. "I can't."

"Can't what?"

"I can't tell you," she clarified. "I've already told you too much."

"No, you haven't told me enough!" I justified, giving her a firm shake. "You're leaving too many gaps, Mother! It's like you're purposefully leading me into a wild goose chase!"

"You don't understand," she uttered shakily, unsteadily raising her hands to pull me into her embrace. I tensed at the contact. "I'm so sorry, Osoroshi."

"Why're you acting like this?" I inquired breathlessly. "Why're you apologizing?"

"You won't believe me," she began almost too quietly for me to hear. "But I never wanted this life for you."

I didn't say anything to that. She was right, I didn't believe her for a second, no matter how sincere her tone sounded or how tightly her grip around me strengthened. I couldn't trust the woman who took my father away from me, but she was also the only outlet I had to get the information I needed in what the hell was happening with my quirk.

"Mom," I whispered. "If you mean that, you'd tell me what I need to know."

"Don't do that to me," she begged helplessly. "I can't."

"What're you so afraid of?" I asked coldly. "You're already dead."

"Torture is still liable, even in death."

I breathed deeply at that, and instead of arguing anymore, I snaked my arms loosely around her waist. The feeling of hugging my mother was foreign, but strangely moving. I felt emotional within her grasp, like this is what I've been needing for years. I closed my eyes and took the moment in, not knowing if I'd ever be able to hug someone like this with my mind as quiet as it was just then.