Chapter Twenty-Two: Goodbye </3

Start from the beginning

                His expression didn’t change, which caused my smile to fall, “What’s going on?”

                He just continued driving in silence.

                My stomach churned. What the hell was going on?

                About a half hour later, he pulled into a parking lot and shut off the car, unbuckling.

                I looked around and noticed the fountain in the distance – the one where I ran to the day Tiffany made a move on him.

                Now I really didn’t like where this was going.

                We got out, silence still shrouding us.

                When we reached the fountain, he turned to me suddenly and crashed his lips against mine desperately, like there was something that was going to take him away.

                I groaned at the forcefulness as his tongue pried open my mouth, demanding to be invited in.

                I push at his shoulders a little, not enough to actually push him away, but enough to get his attention.

                Surprisingly, he pulled away and wrapped his arms around me, burying his face in the crook of my neck.

                “Deserae…” He breathed lowly, gingerly grazing the crook, “Deserae…”

                Another groan. Why the hell was this guy torturing me!?

                “Mr. Carter…?” I asked, balling his shirt into my hands, “Talk to me. Stop avoiding it.”

                He sighed, “Deserae… we need to talk.”

                My heart stopped.

                The last time I heard that sentence, I was at my mother’s funeral two days later. Nothing good ever came from that sentence. Ever.

                “What is it?” I asked, trying to search his eyes for something – anything – that would tell me what was bothering him.

                “My mom is having problems with a group of people.” He started, watching me, “They’re trying to take my dad’s company away from her because she doesn’t have any male children to take it over.”

                I nodded slowly, not processing what he was saying.

                “I… I have to go back.” He said finally, letting the torment show on his face, “I have to go back to England.”

                I froze, completely unsure of what to say. Nothing in my mind was working. I couldn’t remember how to breathe and my chest filled with a strong, familiar pain.

                Mr. Carter… was going back. He was… leaving.

                “Deserae?”

                I snapped out of it, looking at him, “And?”

                “What?” He asked, confused.

                “You’re leaving.” I said, unsure of how or why I was speaking, “Is that all?”

                He half-smiled, only one corner of his mouth upturning, but it was sadder, like he was expecting something like this to happen, “Yes.” He said, “That’s all.”