Music

When I arrive I see that her house is fairly small, but cozy. I knock on the door and instantly Laila is there, greeting me in.
"Hey! Welcome to my house! Sorry about the mess."
"It's okay, it's definitely much cleaner than mine."
Laila directs me up to her room. I examine the room and first notice how pink the walls are. Laila didn't seem the type to like the color pink, however there were also a bunch of posters (mainly of Paramore) hung up. It's a small room so she barely has anything in it, besides her bed and a white guitar with doves on it resting against the wall in the corner.
"Yes my room is small, and very pink. I hate it. Great job eleven year old Laila for thinking that bright pink walls would never get old."
"The walls are... erm... something..."
I didn't know how to respond. She was right, they're very pink.
"It's fine if you don't like them. So you mentioned that you were in a band?"
By the smirk on her face I could already tell where this was going.
"Yeah, now I'm guessing you wanna hear some stuff then, do you?"
She hands me her guitar.
"Obviously! Show me that you're not just a pretty face."
I giggle at this remark knowing that she's joking but deep down inside I want to believe that she does like me that way.
"Alright here I go... I'm gonna sing the first verse of this song I've been working on, but it isn't finished yet so don't judge if I mess up."
I place the guitar into my thigh and then start playing. I don't look at Laila as I'm singing because I don't want to see her face if she is disappointed at how I sound. Once I'm finished performing I glance over at Laila. Her grin is so big that the corners of her mouth are at her cheeks. She starts clapping and gives me a standing ovation.
"Wow Lynn, that was incredible!"
"It was nothing."
"Erm... what? I knew you would be good, but not that good! Dang, you are so talented."
I can tell she is genuine as she is very enthusiastic.
"Thank you. Now am I gonna hear you play the guitar now or not? Maybe even some singing?"
"Urgh, fine! But trust me, I ain't as spectacular as you. I'll sing jar of hearts by Christina Perri."
When she starts singing I'm amazed at how she could think that she isn't good. Her voice is so angelic and soft, and has a low, raspy tone to it.
She stops singing and her twinkly eyes look up at me. I give her a standing ovation and applaud her, similarly to the way she did for me.
"Laila that was lovely! You're voice just sounds so pure and sweet. Also you managed to reach those low notes, I could never be able to reach them."
"You really mean that?"
"Yes I do."
"Thank you, that means a lot to me."
Seeing this shy, vulnerable side of Laila is quite disheartening as she shouldn't feel that way but also it let me know that she cares about me and my opinions of her.

After a few hours of talking, it was time for me to go home.
"I should be heading home now Laila, my mom is probably worrying about where I am. I'll see you tomorrow. Bye!"
"Oh my gosh that's the time? Okay, bye Lynn."
On my way home I can't help but feel giddy about hanging out with Laila. I got to see a completely different side to her, one that wasn't sarcastic, but one that was more down to earth and real. I could tell she was nervous to sing in front of me and she really did care about my thoughts. It's too bad she doesn't love me in that way but I'm fine with being just friends.