Banter

I let everyone else go in before me. As I enter I hope nobody has sat next to the alluring girl. Oh good, nobody is. I head towards the corner of the room where she was sitting and I sit on the chair next to her.
"Hello class, my name is Lisa, and I will be your teacher for the next two years! I'll call out the register now and so that I can learn your names, could you please put your hand up when you answer?"
This teacher seems nice so far.

"Paul?"
"Here."
"Mark?"
"Here."
"Laila?"
"Here."
So she has a name. It's pretty, just like her.
"Sam?"
"Here."
"Lyndsey?"
I signal that that's me.
"Here, but I prefer Lynn."
"Okay, from now on it's Lynn. Oscar?"
"Here."
"And finally... David."
"Here."

I take a look around at everyone. The room feels empty with just seven people in the class, excluding the teacher. At least it won't be hard to forget people's names.
"Alright class, now it's time for some ice breaker games!"
Joy.
"So with the person sitting next to you I would like you to ask as many possible questions as you can and the pair that find out the most about each other wins! Sounds fun, right?"

I turn to look at Laila. There is an awkward pause for a second but she breaks the tension.
"Hi, I'm Laila. I'm guessing you are Lynn based on the fact that you're the only other girl in this class and the fact that you answered the register as Lynn."
"Actually, Lynn is just my secret identity. I'm actually an undercover spy named Carmen that fights crime."
She chuckles at my sarcasm which makes me feel butterflies in my stomach.
"Well now I know that you are funny. That's one thing. You wanna know anything about me?"
Are you gay?
"Umm... do you like Paramore?"
"How did you know? It's like you're some kinda psychic!"
She says this whilst peering down at her shirt.
"Seems like I'm not the only one that's funny. I love Paramore myself. Have you ever seen them in concert?"
"Just this summer I saw them for the first time. It was so magical but I could barely walk after jumping around so much. You ever seen them?"
"Yeah, when I was younger I saw them opening for Jimmy Eat World and seeing a female fronted band that could totally own the stage inspired me to take music a little more seriously. I started playing the guitar and singing because I wanted to be like Hayley."
"That's awesome! I should hear you sing some time. I understand if you wouldn't want to though."
"Nah it's cool, I totally will. So do you play any instruments?"
"Just so happens that I also play the guitar! I was playing before I knew that Paramore even existed but Paramore's songs gave me an extra drive to play. They're just so spunky and fun to play. I also thought that I could sing when I was little but it turns out that I cannot. Now I just pretend that I can."
"I'm sure you're great!"
"Are you kidding? Literally if you ever heard me sing it would sound like a dying walrus choking on razor blades! Trust me, you do not wanna hear that."

"Times up guys and girls. Now I'll go around and see how much you know about each other. Let's start off with the gentlemen at the front. So Sam, what did you learn about Oscar?"

Before our teacher got to Laila and I, the bell rang for lunch.
"Hey Lynn, is it okay if I hang around with you at lunch? It's just that I literally don't know anyone else."
"Yeah that's cool. If you weren't here I would have been a loner too."