Chapter 30: Lol We're Getting Closer

Right after that moment in the bathroom, you found yourself in an attic. You never noticed the trap door above the bathroom, but it was something new.

Lukas pulled the curtains back of the sole window. It covered the entire area of the wall and showed the dark outside. Before going up there, he explained that the attic was a viewing deck. The balcony in the master's bedroom wasn't ideal because of the werewolves, but the attic was. Especially when you were going to see the Jotuns for the first time. The skyscraper sized trolls. Now that's something you'd like to see.

The mugs of hot chocolate you made for the both of you fogged a portion of the window a bit. You sat in the corner while Lukas sat on the opposite corner in front of you. He needed some space for himself. You could tell that he needed some time to recollect. How he reacted earlier finally showed you how he truly felt about the situation at times. You wanted to kiss him again or pull him into a tight embrace to comfort him, but you knew he needs time.

"(Y/n)?" You looked up and saw Lukas staring down into his mug. "How are you not even afraid of this? Of me?"

"What do you mean?" You said softly.

"I'm so used to people being intimidated by me, but you? You stood up to me as if I owed you something." He leaned against the glass and looked outside. "You're a weirdo with some boldness in you."

"Yeah, well I get that from my mom." You replied with a smile.

He smiled for a brief moment and then went back to staring into his chocolate. The silence overwhelmed the both of you again. A peaceful silence that made you learn to appreciate the simplicity of his presence.

"What is it like?" He spoke once again. "What is it like growing up as a normal person?"

You gave it a thought. You've heard how he was raised so why not share your story?

"Well, not easy in terms of being the orphaned daughter of the talented one in the family." You snorted at the memories of your aunts and uncles fighting for your custody. "Since my mother had the money and the titles to several lands from my grandfather, which was really a shocker for them since my mother was just the adopted one, so they try to persuade me to side them for the fortune.

"But all's well, ends well from the papers. My Uncle Henri got custody of me and I still have the lands, being the closest to my mom, and I had to live with three other kids. My cousins were a rowdy bunch, even until now. They're like the siblings I've never had, or sibling rather."

You lowered your eyelids and you stared into your chocolate this time. Somehow the science of chocolates as happy food wasn't getting to you. Even with the sips you take.

"Remember when I said something about a brother?" You said. "Before my mom died, she had news that I was going to be a big sister, and I was in joy because I finally have someone to play with since I used to live on the countryside in Germany during the summer and I find myself alone most of the time; not a lot of kids were near the property, I hung out with the caretakers kids who were in there to fund their uni tuitions."

"So that's why you could understand German?" You nodded.

"Then the rest is history, my childhood home got attacked by Uncle Jared's cult, parents died, and I went to live in the Netherlands with my relatives." You finally ended. "I grew up in a somewhat nuclear family, went to a good school, and here I am with you. My paternal grandparents do know me, but I'm not close with them."

You shrugged and looked up at Lukas who finally took a sip of his chocolate. You took a sip of your own mug too. The quiet again was comforting. The sounds of howls from a distance and the occassional creaking of the wood, it was eerily peaceful.