Chapter 12: Family

There is a kind of beauty in imperfection. Conrad Hall

______________<3_______________

The traffic light hit red when he was almost at the end of the street. He halted immediately and hit the steering in frustration. He was running late for the family dinner. He knew how angry Mimi would be.

Who even had family dinner during summer. It was August and people often went on vacation, not sit down and dine. The yellow light shone, once the red had died down. Nonso looked to his side, the car parked beside him was a red camry 2016. He squinted his eyes to see who it was. The person seemed familiar.

It was a woman. She turned her head left and their eyes met. She smiled broadly, winding down her window, she screamed enthusiastically.

"Nonso Orji. Our Albino boyfriend"

He winced. He hated the word Albino. He didn't know any other way to tell people that he was not an Albino. He was only a melanin Lacker in the aspect of hair and eyes but his skin was extremely fair. His skin was not like full Albinos. Their skins were often moist in a way and almost like alabaster but his had very little melanin, he was certain of it. His skin was not as soft as people often thought, it was coarse in a way.

He was not an Albino. He was simply a melanin lacker - in the aspect of eye and hair - with a very fair skin.

"Hey. Lola, longest time"

"Yes oh!"

He really didn't want to talk to Lola, he was sure she'd bring up Derin. She often did anytime they crossed paths.

Thankfully, the green light blinked. Waving her a goodbye, he sped off.

Derin.

The last time he'd seen her was the day she'd referred to him as a vomit. He'd felt her words deep in his chest. He thought they had a chance, he'd broken up with Mitchell so he could fight for her. He was still so much in love with her. He couldn't get over her. He'd tried everything, even the night before, he'd gone to the club, grabbed a random girl and spent the night in a cheap hotel. Just to get rid of her still, he'd not.

She didn't want him. She never did, she never will. Femi Okunnu Estate came into veiw, Nonso drove in as the security pulled the gate open. Parking by the corner, they walked up to him.

"Who are you here for?" The security man asked.

Nonso rolled his eyes. He was sure the security man recognized him, all he wanted was to prove he was doing his job.

"I was here yesterday, the day before, the day before and the day before. What is it in me that you don't recognise" he snapped.

"Sorry sir, we follow protocol"

"Just call my sister and tell her I'm here, I'm sure you know her or do I need to tell you my name. I told you that yesterday, and the day before, and-"

"It's alright, she called. You can go in." he smiled tightly.

Nonso wind up his window and drove in. The security measures were becoming annoying, although it was the right thing, they were taking it over the edge.

He turned his wheels right. Mimi's home was at the far end on the first street by the right. He parked outside her gate and alighted from his car. Locking the car, he walked towards the gate in quick strides.

Knocking at the big black iron gate, he tapped his feet impatiently against the ground. The peephole opened, seconds later. Yusuf, the gate man peeped through it. Sighting Nonso, he broke into a grin.