Chapter 20: Ignorance is bliss

Get me a man that looks at me like I'm magic - Thebeverlynaya - IG.

_______________<3_____________

Ten days had gone by since he last saw Derin. On her birthday, they hadn't even spoken on phone or chatted each other up on WhatsApp. He was waiting for her to call, and she hadn't.

He'd walked out of her little get together birthday party to drag his best friend Alex out of a club, the dude was drunk and wasted when he got there. He had to take him home and call up his girlfriend to do the rest.

Alex had a fight with Vanessa, his fiancée and he'd gone to get drunk just to forget. Nonso shook his head at his logic of forgetting things.

Get drunk.

He scoffed. As if.

He kept glancing at his phone, hoping for a call from Derin. He really missed her. He however wanted to step back a bit. Maybe he was coming unto her too forcefully.

His office door suddenly burst open. He snapped his head up instantly, his ex girlfriend Mitchell stood there in a short denim skirt and a pink blouse to match her pink glittering gladiator sandals.

"Mitchelle," he gestured to the sit in front of him."you could have knocked. "

She grinned broadly. "To think that I've passed that stage. Two months ago, I'd have barged in here, chanting 'babe' " her smile wavered. "But that's not the case,"

He cleared his throat. "How are you?"

"I'm where you left me," she glanced at him then took a sit. "After that case we both had. However, to cover the damage that did to my career, I won two cases in two weeks. How good is that?"

Nonso smiled. "I'm happy for you,"

She nodded. "Thank you."

He adjusted in his chair. "So, you came here..."

"Can't I just come and visit sometimes?" She raised a brow.

He tightened his lips, then chuckled nervously. "Sure,"

He glanced at his phone. No call.

"Well... I came to invite you to my twenty fifth birthday and three year celebration of me as a lawyer."

She passed him an invitation card. He barely looked at it and slipped it under his desk.

"Sure, I'll be there."

She smiled gratefully. "Don't miss it Nonso, who knows we can get back on and make a power couple in the legal business!"

Nonso creased his brows.

Mitchelle shook her head. "Never mind!"

She blew him a kiss and walked out of the office.

Sighing, Nonso put his head down and groaned.

This party would be another reason for his father to emphasis that Mitchell was his soul mate.

****

Jessica turned the steering and rounded by the corner, whistling to Ed sheeran's photograph as she drove.

"Where exactly are we heading to?"

Jessica grinned cheerily. "Calm down Derin. After I see this friend of mine, we'll head straight to hang out, probably shopping. It's been long since we had time out together."

Derin nodded understandingly.

Her boss had given her two weeks off work to rest and get better, although the woman and the rest of the office apart from Ify, had no idea of the reason she was in the hospital.