Chapter Eleven: Brains vs. Brawn

Start from the beginning

George removed his hands and my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

In front of me sat a round cake with blue icing and the words “Happy Birthday Lucy” were written in brown. There was a design on the top traced in the icing that was obviously meant to be an eagle.

“We wrote a letter to mum and told her that your birthday was yesterday and she immediately sent a cake,” said Fred, lighting the candles with his wand. “Now make a wish and blow out your candles.”

I stared hard at the small flames for a moment.

What wish did I want to make? I didn’t want to wish for Fred, which would just be dumb… I thought of my family and how Sirius was innocent.

I closed my eyes.

I wish I could find a way to get Sirius out Azkaban, I thought as I blew out the candles.

“Now let’s have some cake!” George cried.

Fred cut the first piece and put in on plate.

“First piece for the birthday girl,” he said, smudging a dot of blue icing on my nose.

We ended up handing off the rest of the cake to the rest of Terry and mine’s housemates.

I think it was one of my best birthdays.

~x~

On Saturday, the whole school was in the cheery mood. There was a Quidditch match to day – Gryffindor against Hufflepuff.

Terry and I stood up in the stands with Ron, Hermione, and Neville, merrily waiting for the match to begin.

Ron and Hermione were bickering about something, but I didn’t bother to ask what though. Neville and I were debating who we thought would win.

“I know how good the Hufflepuff the Chasers are good, but the Gryffindor’s are better,” I said. “And Diggory may be older and more experienced, but Harry’s a natural with a faster broom and less weight.”

“I’ve never seen Snape look so mean,” I heard Ron said. “Look – they’re off. Ouch!”

Ron, Neville, and I wheeled around to see Malfoy standing behind us, grinning maliciously.

“Wonder how long Potter can stay on his broom this time? Wanna bet? Weasley?”

Ron didn’t answer, and I turned around just in time to see Snape awarding Hufflepuff a penalty because George had hit a Bludger at him. Git.

“You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?” Malfoy continued loudly.

I glowered at the field – Snape had just awarded Hufflepuff a penalty for no reason.

“It’s the people they feel sorry for. See, Potter’s got no parents, the Weasley’s haven’t got any money,” Malfoy said. “Hey, Longbottom, you should be on the team – you’ve got no brains!”

Neville when red, but turned to face Malfoy, his chin raised high.

“I’m worth twelve of you, Malfoy,” he said bravely.

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle all laugh.

“You tell him, Neville,” said Ron.

“Longbotton, if brains were gold you’d be poorer than Weasley, and that’s saying something,” Malfoy said.

I turned around.

“I’m warning you, Mafloy – one more word and I’ll –”

Terry clapped a hand over my mouth.

“You’re in luck, Weasley, Potter’s obviously spotted some money on the ground!” Malfoy sneered.

With that, Ron jumped over the seat and was wrestling Malfoy to the ground. Neville then clambered over the back of his seat to help.

“Oh, what the hell?” I said before hopping over too, tackling Goyle to the ground before he could try to hit Neville.

As Ron and Malfoy rolled under the seats, I pummeled Goyle in the face, though it really had no affect, and he hit me back. I staggered back, looking around and seeing Terry clutching a book in his hands. I grabbed it from him and smashed it into Goyle’s face.

“HAZZAH!” I shouted through a swollen lip as he collapsed into his seat. I then turned to Neville, who was miraculously fending off Crabbe. “You go Neville!”

WHAM! I cringed as Neville took a straight hit to the face and crumpled on the ground.

“YOU LEAVE HIM ALONE!” I screamed as I hit Crabbe over the head with the book as well.

The crowd erupted in cheers and I looked around to see Harry waving the Snitch around in his hand.

“Yeah, Harry!” I shouted, tossing the book back to Terry and crouching down to help Neville. “Hey, Longbottom.”

He didn’t move. I put my hand in front of his nose. He was still breathing.

With Terry’s help, I was able to stand him upright, but we had to lean him against ourselves since he was still out cold.

“Let’s get him to Madam Pomfrey,” I said.

We half dragged/half carried Neville to the castle and when we walked into the hospital wing Madam Pomfrey gave us a disapproving look.

“Been fighting, have you?” she asked.

“I had to defend him from those Slytherin boys,” I said. “They were going to hurt him.”

“Well, put him on a cot and I’ll fix up your lip,” she said.

When I sat down, I opened my mouth a pulled out a tooth.

“There goes my last baby tooth,” I said.

Madam Pomfrey quickly healed my lip and stopped the bleeding in my mouth. She assured me that Neville would be fine, and then shooed Terry and I out.

“Well that was an interesting match,” Terry said, chortling.

~x~

So it seems a bit rushed to me, and I'm sure that it is. I'm just wanting to get this book done so I can start on the second one.