Chapter Five: the Mirror of Erised

[Chapter Five]

Terry teased me for the next week about my… crush on Fred Weasley. And Fred wasn’t really helping either. Whenever he spotted me in the halls, he’s put his arm around my shoulders and walked me to most of my classes. Every once and a while, Ron would come to ask what was up with his brother, and I would reply with the truth: I didn’t know.

Oh, that Ronald Weasley even went all out and one morning at breakfast, he marched straight up to the Ravenclaw table.

“Do you like Fred?” he asked, loud enough for probably the entire Great Hall to hear.

“Uhm, no…” I lied smoothly, raising an eyebrow. “Weirdo…”

At the Gryffindor table, Harry Potter was laughing at us.

I threw my fork at him.

Terry snickered, nearly choking on bits of bacon.

“Is that all?” I asked Ron.

He shrugged and went to sit back down with Harry.

Terry was still chortling when we got up to leave for Transfiguration, and so I tricked him into stepping into a trick step and left him there.

“Really?” he called, as I made it to the top.

I turned and glared at him.

“Yes, really,” I said coolly. “It’s not funny! I don’t tease you about that Fay Dunbar girl you like!”

“I’m sorry, Lu!” he said. “Please help me out.”

“You’re not sorry, and if I let you out, you’ll just make fun of me even more!”

“Perhaps you ought to let him out,” said a familiar voice.

George stood behind her, leaning on the banister. Fred was nowhere to be seen, to my relief.

“He doesn’t deserve it,” I grumbled.

“Oh, you can’t seriously be that angry, can you?” George asked. “I mean, we’re boys, we’ll always make fun of you.”

“Yeah!” Terry chimed in.

“Hush!” George called down to him. “So, are you going to let him out or not?”

I sighed. “Fine, I’ll let him out. But if he makes fun of me one more time, I will hex him straight into the Whomping Willow.”

George grinned. “Fair enough.”

“Hey!” Terry protested.

George and I walked down the stair and pulled him out of the stair.

“Thank you!” he said, wiggling his foot about.

“Well, I’ll be seeing you two,” said George, turning away.

“Wait, George,” I called after him.

“I won’t tell him,” he said as walked the rest of the way down the stairs. “I won’t tell Fred.”

~x~

Saturday came, and I found myself once again lost. I don’t know how, but I had taken a wrong turn from the library and found myself in a corridor.

I sighed in frustration, not knowing where to go now.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a door that was slightly ajar. I curiously pushed it open even more. Something in the room was drawing me in, it beckoned me to come in.

I swallowed and slowly entered.

In the room there was a mirror. It was large, reaching the ceiling, with a golden frame and two clawed feet holding it up. Along the top, it read “Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.”