Chapter Eleven: Brains vs. Brawn

Start from the beginning

“Terry, what just happened?” I asked bleakly.

He just snorted into his pumpkin juice.

~x~

On Monday, Terry and I made it to the Great Hall just as post arrived. When we sat, a large eagle owl landed in front of me, a parcel tied to it’s legs.

“The heck…” I muttered, noticing it was addressed to me. I untied at and pulled off the envelope taped to the top.

“What’ve you got there, Lu?” George asked as he sat next to Terry and Fred sat next to me.

“I dunno,” I said, ripping open the envelope.

Lucy,

Mum and dad told me that it was your birthday today, so I figured I would get you something since I missed Christmas. I sent an owl to Uncle Teddy asking sort of things you like and he told me about how you like the Muggle shoe shops and stuff.

Happy Birthday,

Draco

“Lucy, it’s your birthday?” Fred poked my shoulder.

“Erm… what day is it?” I asked, unable to remember the date.

“February 17th,” George replied.

“Oh, yeah, it is my birthday…”

“What? How could you not tell us?” Fred demanded.

“Well, I kind of forgot,” I admitted, cutting the Spellotape off the sides of the box with a butter knife.

I peered inside and was completely shocked to find a narrow box that read “Converse” across the top.

I flick open the box and sighed in almost a dreamy way.

Sitting in the bloody box were the same pair of navy high tops that I had been eyeing for the longest time.

“How’d he…?” I shrugged and closed the box. I turned to see Draco just walking to the Great Hall with Crabbe and Goyle. He shot a subtle glance in my direction, his gaze meeting mine for a fraction of a second before he turned away.

I sighed and put the box inside of my bag.

“Let’s go to the library, I need to turn in a book,” I said.

Terry stood up and we left the twins at the Ravenclaw table.

“I don’t understand why he’s suddenly being nice!” I exclaimed as we walked toward Transfiguration (returning the book took no time of ours at all). “This whole year he’s been acting like he hates me, and then ‘oh, I think I’ll get her something for her birthday.’” I sighed. “That boy is moodier than Tonks during puberty.”

Terry chuckled.

“Don’t expect me to suddenly know why Malfoy’s acting this way,” said Terry.

~x~

The next morning, the twins, Lee, Hermione, Ron, and Harry ambushed Terry and me in the entrance.

“Close your eyes,” Fred commanded.

Terry grinned.

“What? Why?” I demanded.

“Because I said.”

“No,” I said.

George covered my eyes with his hands and I sighed.

“Okay, fine,” I muttered.

They led me into what was probably the Great Hall.

“Okay, now sit – okay, good,” said Fred. “George.”