Chapter Eighteen: Thoughts

random friday morning update because i can and i will

Izuku //

Sho was staying the night tonight and with that I was not only able to spend more time with him, but I noticed things about him I never noticed before.

After telling him that my mother makes delicious pork cutlet bowls, he insisted that he gets to try one. So, I begged her to make them for dinner tonight in return for Sho's company all night. Before he came, I was worried that things might be the same as they were the night he spent here after the festival. I didn't like seeing him being taken over with fear, especially when he's sleeping. It's terrifying not knowing what is happening in his nightmares.

I had a nightmare the night he went home fearing that his father will hurt him. I could never know what was happening to him unless he came back. It feared me that he thought he wouldn't. I didn't want to lose him when he's only been mine for what has felt like a short time. It's probably been longer than I thought, but hours feel like minutes when I'm with him.

I like that.

I like him.

I love him.

My heart beats for him, even when he's not around.

He fits in with my mother and I perfectly. There have been empty chairs at our dinner table for years and it's comforting to finally have the space next to me filled with a presence I enjoy so much. When he's sitting next to me at the dinner table, waiting for my mother to present the delectable dish to us in its steaming glory, he likes to hold my hand or lean his head on my shoulder while mumbling about how much he loves me.

I love it.

Though when my mother carries the bowls out to us, he begins to stuff his face like he hasn't eaten in a week. If I hadn't known any better, I would have assumed that, but I know that my mother feeds both of us well. This is the best yet.

The rich aroma of the dish wafted into my nose and beckoned me. I could not resist the delightful sensations that whipped up inside my memory at the mere thought of delving my teeth deep and fast into a bite of the food. I thought I had been eating quickly, but seeing Sho shovel six forkfuls of food into his mouth all at once, barely chewing before swallowing and going in for another ten makes me realize how slow I really was.

In his feast, he leaves stray pieces of rice and onion on his cheeks. If my mother wasn't sitting and giggling in front of us at the table, I would have leaned into him and licked the extra flecks off his cheeks seductively. My heart races just thinking of doing that, but I can't. My mother doesn't know, and doesn't need to know about the side of me with weird dirty thoughts about Sho. Instead, I carefully trace my finger over the mess on his soft face and join my mother in her giggles.

When my hand makes contact with his face he becomes extremely self-aware and I love the shade of pink that paints his cheeks when he becomes embarrassed.

He turns to me with a playful smile, "Am I making a bad impression?"

"No," I say, feeling myself leaning in slowly. "You're just being adorable." I seal the compliment with a kiss, tasting a bit of the pork cutlet bowl on his lips. I would indulge in him longer, but I can't without it being weird with my mother sitting there.

He holds my hand underneath the table for the rest of the meal.

...

Sho and I walk together in the main square of the village as night fell quickly over the horizon. Light was covered by the rapidly falling night. The bright blue sky transformed into an ocean of blackness. Shimmering stars illuminated the moonless, jet black sky as if to remind us that even in darkness there is still light. Our breaths wisp in abstract swirls in the air from the chill that wraps around us like a blanket. The only way to stay warm is to interlock our fingers and walk as closely to each other as possible.