1

"Kill him."

"Yes sir." The man shakily answered his boss, before turning around and sprinting out of the room.

Vadim was sitting at his desk, smoking a cuban cigar. It was the day before Christmas, looking to his left he could see the snow falling from the sky. The room was filled with silence as Vadim looked at the scene outside the window. The grass was coated in a white layer of freshly fallen snow, no footprint could be seen. It was a peaceful sighed, but as he looked at it his head was far from peaceful. Vadim felt stressed, his enemies were growing bigger with the day, he feared they would overpower him one day.

Suddenly the silence was broken by the sound of a phone ringing. The 43-year-old could feel his phone vibrating in his pocket. He waited a few rings, inhaling the aroma of his cigar, before he answered the phone.

"Hello Anastasia."

"My dearest brother." The woman enthusiastically answered.

"What is it?" He asked his sister, with a sour taste in his mouth. He still hadn't forgiven his sister after all these years.

"How about you come to our house this Christmas? Nickolai really wants to see you." His sister suggested. The siblings would always celebrate Christmas at Vadim's house. It was the house they grew up in and he had inherited when his father died.

Vadim spoke "no."

"No?"

"No." Vadim replied sternly, "It's tradition, Ana. Your son will still be able to see me in this house."

Vadim could hear Anastasia sigh on the other side of the line, she was annoyed.

Anastasia pleaded "But Vadim isn't it about time to break traditions?"

"No Ana, I have to go now."Vadim said before he hang up the phone. He could vaguely hear her say bye, before he cut of the call.

Vadim made his way outside the office, walking through the empty mansion. It was decorated with Christmas ornaments to give it a warm ethos, but he felt cold as he walked through the corridors of his house.

He came to a stop when he reached the hearth, it had a glass plate before it to protect his nephew from burning his fingers. On the heart stood a few personal photo's. Vadim took a step forward and picked up one of the photo's. It was taken on his sister's wedding day, on the picture he could see his little sister and her husband smiling. His sister was wearing an altered wedding dress so it would fit her baby bump. Dimitri, her husband, had his hand on her belly with his other hand wrapped around Anastasia's waist.

Vadim narrowed his eyes as he looked at his brother-in-law. He had never liked Dimitri, he was too sinister and mysterious. Vadim didn't approve of their marriage, he had turned down his sister multiple times when she'd asked permission to marry him. Eventually Anastasia had became pregnant and Vadim had no choice but to agree to their marriage. Dimitri had changed his last name to Nabatov, it was Vadim's only condition: the baby would be a Nabatov.

Looking to his right a small smile graced his face, right next to the wedding picture stood a picture of Nickolai, his little nephew. Nickolai had been two weeks old, Anastasia was holding him as Vadim was sitting next to her. Nickolai was his heir, his successor. Vadim didn't have any children of his own, Christ he didn't have a wife. He didn't want to settle down, he liked his bachelor life. Nickolai was now six years old, but even at such young age he showed great potential.

"Vadim."

Vadim put the photo back as he heard the high-pitch voice of Carlotta, one of his many mistresses. Turning around he came face to face with the familiar auburn hair and green eyes.

"Let's go upstairs." She seductively suggested, while playing with the string of her black lingerie. The black colour made her eyes pop as she looked at Vadim. She swiftly turned around and was pleasantly surprised when she heard heavy footsteps follow her.