Chapter Twenty Two

The next few days were hard. Charlie was home a lot more and Nate didn’t leave yet but I still felt as alone as ever. Even with Pax texting me non stop.

“I’m going out.” I whispered to Charlie who was in the living room holding Noah.

“When will you be back?” He asked fear in his eyes.

I gave him a small smile, “In about an hour, I promise.”

“Alright, I think I can hold him off till then.” He looked down at Noah. Even with me not knowing anything about babies or children in general, Charlie didn’t know anything either. But somehow, I was better at it than him.

I smiled and waved as I left. I really need to get out of the house. I drove down the street until I came to a stop in front of a house. His house.

How was I going to face him? He practically kidnapped me at my mother’s funeral. But he was hurt and I at least needed to make sure he was okay. I stepped out of the car and took a deep breath. He wouldn’t hurt me, would he? He was my best friend, right? Then why did this make me uneasy?

I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Pax.

I’m at Robbie’s house. I’ll come to yours in a bit.

I hit send and took another deep breath, I needed to just do it. My phone buzzed and I looked down at it to see a new text from Pax.

WHAT! Emily get out of there! He’ll hurt you! He’s fucked up!

I rolled my eyes and ignored it as I place my phone back into my pocket. I made my way to the door and knocked. It was soon opened by his mother, who smiled at me and ushered me in.

“Thanks Mrs. Klein.” I thanked walking past her, “Is Robbie home?”

Her nose crinkled at the name, she like to call him Robert. “He’s in his room.” She nodded, “Would you like anything to drink? Would you like a snack?”

“No thank you.” I told her and then started up the stairs. I made my way to Robbie’s room and opened the door without knocking. He was laying on his bed with a cast on his leg and one on his arm.

“Mom,” He sighed, “I thought I told you-.” He stopped when he opened his eyes and looked at the door to see that I, in fact, wasn’t his mother, “Emily?” he stuttered unsure.

“Hey.” I gave him a small smile and made my way over to his side.

“Are you okay?” He asked quickly, “I didn’t mean for that to happen, I didn’t mean for any of it to happen.”

“Then why did you?” I questioned.

He took a deep breath and with his non broken hand, he caressed my face. I tried not to jerk away but his touch was repulsive. “When I saw...him….there I guess I just lost it.” I didn’t even have to ask who him was.