Chapter Twenty One

My head ached while I gain consciousness. Robbie dragging me out of my mom’s funeral and the accident flashed in my mind. I groaned as I grabbed my head but something held my hand already. I opened my eyes and looked to my left, where Nate was sitting.

“You’re up!” He squeezed my hand excitedly, “we were worried we were going to have take you to the hospital.”

“Where am I?” I groaned looking around the room. It was unfamiliar to me. The chair I had been lying on was uncomfortable, so I sat up. The room had floral wallpaper and a dusty smell. The only other furniture, besides the chair, was a desk and a bookcase that was half filled.

“The funeral home, one of the back rooms.” He told me letting go of my hand as I stood up. “I didn’t think you’d want to miss anymore of it.”

I smiled at him slightly and gave him a quick hug. “I love you Nate.” I whispered and he laughed.

“Love you too Emmy.” And then he pushed me away, a massive grin spreading across his lips. “Speaking of which, Pax.”

Pax. His name made my heart skip and butterflies flutter in my stomach. “I’m in love with you Emily Cross, I have been since the very first day I met you.” his words rang in my mind as my face heated up. He loved me. Paxton Johnson, my used to be best friend, loved me. I couldn’t wrap my mind around it.

I used to have thee biggest crush on him when we were younger but I pushed those feelings away, he was my best friend and I could risk losing him. Did he love me when he talked about that girl the summer before ninth grade? Before everything fell apart?

Then it hit me. He was talking about me. My face reddened in embarrassment, and I guess I was a little thrilled. Why didn’t he tell me?

“Emily?” Nate laughed bring me back to the present. “You’re red as a tomato. Are you in love with him too?”

“W-what?” I stuttered out and if it was possible, I turned even redder. Curse frequent blushing!

“I got my answer, thanks Em.” He laughed again and I shook my head.

“Where is he?” I asked him, I needed to see him.

“Outside,” He shrugged, “he said he needed air. He really hates that guy.” His jaw clenched, “and so do I.”

“Did you help him?” I asked suddenly worried for Robbie.

“Yeah, Pax called him an ambulance. Don’t worry, he’s fine.”

I breathed out relieved, now I could just be mad at him without feeling guilty because he was in pain. I made my way out of the room and out into the large room. There were still lots of people her and I smiled slightly at them as they all gave me sympathetic looks. I searched the room for the only face I needed at the moment, but I couldn’t find him. I walked outside where the rain was really coming down now. Pax was standing by his car, his head down.

I made my way out into the rain, not caring that I was now soaked. “Pax.” I whispered when I was closer to him. He turned around causing  the droplets on his hair to flicker off, ugh why was that so hot? Why was he so hot?

“You’re up!” He smiled at me but his eyes were pained. “You scared me. Don’t just black out on me.” He laughed lightly.

“Sorry.” I shrugged twisting my hands nervously as I looked up at him. His lips pressed tightly together and I couldn’t help but stare at them. He made me feel so good with his lips pressed against mine and I was desperately craving it.

“About earlier, I didn’t-.” He started, running his hand through his wet hair nervously, but I didn’t let him finish. I ran the little space between us and stood on my tip toes as I pressed my lips to his. He was surprised at first but after a moment he began kissing me back.The blinding white light was as bright as ever and I felt a fire ignite in my body as one arm wrapped around my waist as he pulled me tightly to him and the other caressed the side of my face.

My hands held his face to mine tenderly so he couldn’t move away but judging by the fact that I pulled away shortly to catch my breath, which I only needed a few seconds, and he leaned in so he could continue to kiss me.

I laughed slightly and he smiled but still gave me little pecks on my cheek before I tilted his chin to bring his lips back to mine.

It felt good, so good and incredibly right. I honk sounded around us and it pulled me back to where we were. I blinked as the pain hit me and I gently pulled away, but I was still comfortably in his arms.

As his piercing blue eyes gazed into mine I spoke without thinking. “I’m in love with you Pax.”

A grin filtered across his lips and the pain I noticed in his eyes early was replaced with happiness.

“Oi.” Nate shouted from the doorway of the building, “Come inside you hooligans.”

Pax and I laughed but made our way to the door, hand in hand.

“Hooligans?” I questioned him.

He shrugged, “It happened.” I shared a grin with Pax and I shook my head. “So.” He smirked looking at our hands entwined, “What’s this.”

“It’s called love.” I retorted squeezing Pax’s hand.

“Oh, so you guys are..?” He let the question hang and neither one of us spoke. We basically just confessed our love for each other, were we really going to define our relationship now?

“We…” I dragged out looking over at Pax, a soft smile spread across my lips, “we’re figure it out.”

Pax nodded and pulled me closer to him. “We’re figuring it out.” He repeated and kissed my temple.

They're in love! And so am I! Lol I hope you liked it too!