Chapter Nine

“Nate?” I called through the house as I shut the front door. I listened for him but heard nothing. I made my way to the kitchen throw the dining room, he wasn’t there so I continued on through the family room and into the formal living room. I was confused when I made my way up the stairs to his room. “Nate?” I called out again.

“Shit Em.” I heard him call from his room. I stopped where I was, I so didn’t need to know what he was doing. “I’ll be out in a sec.”

“That’s okay, I just wanted to know if you were still here.” I replied and then hurried my way to my room, keeping my eyes down as my face heated up. Why was I so embarrassed? It wasn’t like I saw or heard anything. I quickly grabbed my cheer bag and then shuffled out of my room. I was in the kitchen heating up so food when I heard giggling from the stairs. I covered my ears and stared at my rotating food.

What the hell! This is so gross. I liked it so much better when I was alone.

I jumped when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and uncovered my ears to hear Nate laughing as he jumped onto the counter. “Nice day isn’t it?”

“The best.” I grimaced at him and then grabbed my food as it beeped.

“What’d you have planned for tonight?” He asked watching me eat the leftovers from last nights ‘meal’.

I made a disgusted face at the food and looked at him. “Theres a game tonight.”

“Oh.” He laughed, “That’s right you’re a cheerleader, aren’t you?”

I rolled my eyes and threw away the food that I couldn’t stand any longer. “I’m going to be late.”

“Wait. I’m coming.” He followed behind me as I walked out. We rode in silence and when I parked I finally told him.

“I have people coming over tonight. A family.” I clarified when he rose his eyebrow suspiciously. “They’re going to stay in the guest house for a while. I’m not asking your permission Im just telling you so if you see some people around the house you don’t know you won’t call the cops.”

“Yeah, yeah. It’s not my house.” He rolled his eyes.

I sighed and hopped out of the car, “I’ll see you at the game Ms. Cheerleader.” He smirked before stuffing his hand in his pockets and walking away. He looked so much like Pax when he did that.

“Who’s that?” Eliza asked coming out of nowhere. “Is he your boyfriend?”

“God no!” I shrieked repulsed by the idea, “he’s my step brother.”

“So he’s available?” She asked still looking at him.

“I guess.” I shrugged, “I don’t really talk to him all that much to be honest. He’s only in town for a few days a year.”

“I’m going to go flirt with him, see ya later Em.” She winked before following after him. I shook my head and made my way to the doors. I changed quickly and then led the squad out to the field. I saw Nate, who was accompanied by Eliza, I gave him a glare when his eyes connected with mine. If he hurt her I swear.