C H A P T E R S I X

C H A P T E R  S I X

“I brought supplies.” His voice is sarcastic as I stand on one side of the door and he stands on the other holding a plastic bag. He must've just gone shopping, or something. This is one image I never thought I'd have seen. “I planned for us to make something simple. So, how does one of Damon’s Special Apple Pie sound?”

I raise my eyebrows at him - what is he talking about? - but let him through into the house anyway. I thought he wouldn't turn up. And if he did, I half expected the first words out of his mouth to be something like, ‘Are you going to tell me why you had that total freak out?’.

“So, about yesterday, Al-”

Well, maybe I spoke a little too soon.

“Let's not talk about that." I say. "Just make yourself at home in the kitchen. I’ve just go,” I wave my hand in the direction of my open bedroom door and hope that he gets what I’m trying to say. "You know."

I just need a minute to myself. Damon sends a concerned look my way, but starts to walk towards the kitchen anyway. I know he must be suspicious but I'm glad he's not demanding answers. Because I wouldn't be able to give them to him. I wasn’t in school today. I'd decided as my dad left for work early, it would be easier to stay off. I deserved it. And I was hoping the spreading gossip about my little episode yesterday would stop being the talk of the school. Damon would find someone else to occupy his time, Tyler could calm down slightly without seeing me for the day –which from the lack of calls, I'd say he didn't really care that much about- and I could get some well needed sleep. 

All in all, it was heaven.

“So." I call down the hallway as I walk into the kitchen. My minute is over. “How do you make this Special Apple Pie of yours, then?"

“It’s simple.” Damon turns from where he was taking things out the carrier bag and placing them on the counter, to face me. The apple in his hand, before I can even consider the option, is being thrown in my direction. I watch as it drops to the floor at my feet. I didn't even move to catch it. There was no hope in the first place, anyway. “If we have any apples left, that is.”

I laugh quietly and walk over to stand next to Damon, leaving the apple on the floor. I look at everything he bought over and then hold up the only packaged item. “Did you really need to bring over ready-made pastry?"

“I don’t know how to make the real stuff." He looks down at me with a slight smirk on his face. I take a step away from him, creating some space. “Do you?”

“Yes. Why don't you peel and slice?" I push the bag of apples towards him, and then start walking around the kitchen in search of the ingredients I need for homemade pastry. “I can make pastry in five minutes tops. It’s simple.”

He snorts. “It's not. That’s why you can buy it already made. It's like pizza. That just takes effort to prepare."

I shake my head but don’t say anything in reply, instead grabbing the food mixer out of the cupboard and putting it on the sideboard, preparing the pastry. Out of the corner of my eye I watch as Damon peels the apples, pulling the knife in the wrong direction and causing it to be highly likely that he might cutt the his finger off. I don’t correct him though. It’s his finger, and he's a bad boy. He should be able to peel an apple properly. 

“Are you ready to talk about what happened now?” His tone, so serious, cuts through the silence I was enjoying cooking in. “Alice, you started crying. You were screaming. And then you just run out of there like nothing happened."

“Nothing happened.” I reply quickly and then switch on the electronic mixer so he can't reply. He just smiles at the action and goes back to peeling the apples. I close my eyes for the thirty second that the mixer is on, because I know as soon as it stops Damon will be asking questions again.  As soon as I stop the noise, Damon's already started speaking.