C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

C H A P T E R  F O U R T E E N 

“Alice!"

As soon as I hear Damon's voice shout from the other side of the front door I reach for the handle from where I've been standing since I got back. As soon as I'd gotten off the phone with Damon we'd agreed he'd come round mine. I don't know why; but he seemed to be concerned and I wasn't going to argue. I've been waiting for him in this exact spot, a few tears escaping whenever I thought about Tyler. 

“Damon.”

I launch myself into his arms. I don't care what he might think of me afterwards but I need the comfort. I need Damon. I was so thankful when I got back and my dad wasn't here but as work instead still. I must've been walking longer than I thought because when I'd looked at the time I'd wasted at least five hours walking. Damon had promised he'd be straight over. 

His arms wrap back against my waist, squeezing tight, and I let my head rest on the chest not long ago I'd been sleeping against. It feels so good and so comforting and safe that I don't want to let go. Damon's exactly what I need. He smells familiar, like warmth and home and I wish all this time I'd been with him and not with Tyler. I know Damon would never hurt me like that. But then again, I never thought Tyler would at the start of our relationship. 

“Alice, baby, he won’t get you.” Damon hugs me even tighter, and a loud sob escapes me. I've never really been one to cry but since Damon's come into my life I haven't seemed to be able to stop. I hear him swear under his breath, and then he says, “Please, stop crying. I can’t handle seeing people cry, Alice."

I step back in his arms, but only enough to see his face, his arms still wrapped tightly and firmly around me. I’m not ready to let him go yet, and Damon doesn't seem to be revoluted by the closeness. “Do you deal with a lot of crying girls?"

“Well you know how it is." I think he's joking, but I never really know with Damon. He always seems to serious it's hard to tell when he's being condescending and when he's being sarcastic. The a smirk appears on his face and I know he's joking when he adds, “All those one night stands and the girls who are just too in love with me when I reject them. It’s a normal day-to-day thing for me, I guess."

I laugh lightly, the croakiness from my crying adding a husky sound. “Is it now?”

He smiles widely. "Oh, it is indeed."

I notice something over Damon’s shoulder. It's my dad's car. He’s home. He climbs out the car and then heads straight towards Damon and I who are still holding each other with the front door wide open. I would try and get Damon to let me go, but I don't want to. There's a smile on my dad's face when he notices us though, and I tap Damon on the side slightly to tell him to let me go. I step out the door a little bit more; my tears forgotten. I can’t cry around him. He’d know something’s up. My dad always works these things out in the end.

"What is Damon doing here again, Alice?" My dad's joking though. I can tell it by the tone of his voice and the fact he's smiling. 

Damon snorts. I try not to laugh at the fact he sounds like an animal, but let a smile slip onto my face anyway. It always happens around Damon. He brings out the worse in me. "He just go here, dad. Don't be rude." I  take the take-away bag from his hand. “Do you think there’s enough in here for three?"

------

“So, boy," My dad starts to question Damon. I can tell Damon doesn't like being called 'boy' but for some reason he's keeping his mouth shut around my dad as if to impress him. I don't know why but it's kind of nice to see. Damon learning to just put up with something and not change it. “I take it you go to school with Alice and Tyler."