C H A P T E R T W O

C H A P T E R  T W O

“So the guy was basically just quiet all night, and then when he took me home, I didn’t even get a kiss on the cheek from him.” Riley states as we leave homeroom and head down the hallway towards the hall where we have our first lesson of the day - sport. “And I had to pay. I say it was the worst date I’ve ever been on.”

“You have been on some pretty bad dates,” Jason’s tone is solemn, but his face looks like he just wants to burst out laughing at Riley's story. That's Jason for you. He can be pretty stupid at times and he tries to make everything a joke. But it's refreshing most of the time - and I love him for always making me happy whenever I'm feeling down. 

“You always seem to be put with the worse ones.” I say.

I slow my step slightly so Jason and Riley move to walk in front of me and down the now completely crowded hallways. As we move closer and closer to the hall, I can’t help but silently dread getting changed. Sometimes I completely skip out on doing sport because I'm scared of getting changed but mainly I just try and wait until most of the poeple have gone and then hide whereever's worse. 

A loud crashing sound brings me out of my thoughts, as my head drifts up from where I was looking at my feet, and towards a big crowd of juniors and seniors who seem to be watching something. I see a figure that I recognise as Tyler and change my mind about the "something". They're watching a fight. And if it's a fight and it involves Tyler; I'm guessing River Edwards' has something to do with it too. 

Jason and Riley quicken their step, never the ones to miss any fighting action in this school, and I follow. Ever since Tyler and I started dating, I've learnt that him and River can’t even stay civil around each other, always throwing a bad word or insult at the other as they pass. It usually ends up like this - them at each others throats and someone having to stop it before they end up in accident and emergancy. 

“Come on, Edwards." I hear Tyler’s threatening, and downright scary when he acts like this voice, say. It’s similar to one he would use if he were angry at me. And that's never good. “Show me what you've got!"

“Oh I’ll show you alright." Rivers deep voice replies. “And then I’ll use it to kick your ass!”

“River,” Damon Rigos’ throaty grunt interrupts, “Just ignore him. He's not even worth it. He can't even fight. If you're going to fight with someone at least pick someone that can throw a proper punch."

Thanks, Damon - you've probably just made it a whole lot worse. 

I push through the crowd, being as small as me it’s a pretty easy task, and finally catch a full glimpse at the three boys I knew I would see. River, his fist raised, stands opposite Tyler who doesn’t look ready to defend himself at all. Damon stands in the middle of the two, but to the right slightly so he doesn’t get hit if one of them decides to throw a punch, a bored expression on his face.

“You think I’m going to let this little mother-” River pauses for a second and then shakes his head, stopping just before swearing which I’m grateful for. I’ve never liked people who swear. It was one of Tyler’s habits that I used to tell him off for all the time. That was before I knew he’d hit me for even trying to speak up against him once. Then, like a little boy, he points a finger at Tyler and says, “He started it.”

“Then you finish it, man." Damon’s voice is just as bored as his facial expression shows, as his eyes glance over the crowd surrounding the two. “Get to class, you little fuckers!" He's obviously not as worried about swearing as River seems to be. "There’s nothing else to see here except for two idiots.”