C H A P T E R F I F T E E N

C H A P T E R  F I F T E E N

Dad, I write, and then cross it out. Maybe I should start with, sorry, instead. I cross that out too, deciding to just let the words take over as it scribbles on the lined paper that was handed to me  I wasn’t meant to come up with some excuse. I was meant to come out with the second biggest lie I’ve ever told in my life. Damon had told me to write something, and I had, ending up with: Family emergency at Riley’s house! Sleeping over, and won’t be back until morning. Love you. Alice.

I watch as Damon picks out a pair of my pyjamas, some jeans, and one of my favourite tops. For a minute I think he’s going to start picking my underwear too, but when he leaves that for me to do, I’m thoroughly grateful. I mean, I might like Damon. We might seem to be getting along quite well. But I don’t think we’re ready for the, I’m-going-to-search-through-your-underwear-draw stage of the relationship. I don’t even think there is a relationship for that to start with.

“We’ll forget about toothbrushes and stuff. If it’s desperate, I’m sure we have a spare one somewhere. If not, it can wait until morning, right?”

I nod in agreement, and then ask the question that’s been on my mind for a while. “How are we getting out?” He doesn’t reply, just grabs my rucksack and swings it over his own shoulder before holding out a hand to help me up off the bed I’m still laying down on having not moved yet even to write. Lazy, I know. But watching Damon can be more interesting that it seems at first thought. “Because obviously we can’t use the front door,” I add, stating the obvious just to make sure.

But then Damon says, “Do you remember what you said about falling out your window?” and I know exactly what he's planning.

------

“I can’t believe you’re making me do this.” I raise one foot onto the window ledge, but then say, “ I can’t do this,” and return it onto safe ground in my bedroom.

“Come on, Alice." He holds out a hand for me to take, but I wave it off. “It’s only a little drop and you'll be fine even if you do fall out."

I raise my eyebrows at him, “Seriously, Damon. I’m not doing this. I refuse.”

“Alice.” He says warningly, offering me the hand again. I don’t shrug it off, but don’t take it either. He leaves it extended in the air for a minute, before letting it drop back to his side. I know I should do this. It’s what I want to do. Live a little, be safe from Tyler and be with Damon, but I can’t. It’s stupid. He must know I can’t do this by now. He’s been stood there for ten minutes trying to persuade me already. “Come on or your dad's going to see us and this whole rebelling and skipping out thing is going to be pointless. Let's go."

“Damon, I’m not doing it.” I reply in the same tone, mocking him. I take a step further back from the ledge. I’m more into the idea of not doing this now than I was before. “I told you that.”

“And I also told you I’m not letting you stay on your own tonight. So get out this window before I come in there and get you myself."

I pause, and then, with a nervous tone, admit, “I’m scared.”

“I know. But believe me,” His tone is sincere. “I won’t let any harm come to you. I promised that, didn’t I?"

I pause again, “I vaguely remember it.”

“Good.”

I pause again and say, “I’m still not coming," but then I take a step closer to the window anyway. I can’t help myself. Damon’s always radiated safety off his body in waves. And now it’s just as strong if not stronger than ever before.