6. BLOODTHIRSTY ROOMMATES AND A VAMPIRE TOO!

Start from the beginning

And if Pierce is telepathic, can he hear everything that crosses my mind or only the things I broadcast? I can't help running through every thought I've had since I met him—about his body, his kiss, Shelly. I pretty much want to die.

"It's only a temporary side effect because I tasted your blood, Waverly. Should only last a week or so," he says, confirming my worst fear. This is how he knew my name. I'm beyond mad at myself. The only reason he's tasted my blood is because I was dumb enough to perform CPR on a vampire. And then I had to go and pull my mouth away so fast that his fangs snagged my lip.

"The vampires won't hurt you, Wave," Dad reminds me. "Remember, they're trying to improve their reputation." My dad and Pierce exchange glances. Does my dad know Pierce, or is he giving him some kind of non-verbal warning about not snacking on his daughter? "And because I work here, I've managed to get you some great bunkmates."

Dad set up my bunkmates? This is going to be a disaster.

Crumpet clears his throat again, and the room quiets instantaneously. Mr. Sharkweather is standing in front of the podium. "On behalf of West Marin Heights, I would like to thank you for your generous contribution." Crumpet reaches over and shakes Mr. Sharkweather's hand, but I notice a fleeting grimace cross Crumpet's face.

"My pleasure, Headmaster Crumpet," says Brack. "And the Sharkweather family has one more surprise for all of you. Shelly?" He motions for her to join him at the front.

Shelly tosses her ponytail over her shoulder and steps carefully over the gods. She almost trips, and one of them, an Adonis-type, of course, helps steady her. "Thanks." She beams at him. Once she's made it to the front, she nods her head at her dad, Headmaster Crumpet, and the teachers. "You guys are going to be so excited. I'm throwing a party next weekend to celebrate the first week of school, and you're all invited!" The students clap and cheer. "And here's the best part." Shelly pauses for dramatic emphasis and smiles. "It's on my family's new yacht. We sail from the dock at seven. Don't be late!"

The students erupt into conversation and laughter—except for the sullen guy by the fireplace who stoically folds his arms across his chest.

Shelly looks at me like she'd like to exclude me, but I'm freaking going whether she wants me there or not. I have to keep on eye on Pierce, to make sure he does nothing stupid—like fall in the water and get attacked by sharks (again), or by Shelly (for the first time).

"Thank you, Mr. Sharkweather, Miss Sharkweather," says Crumpet. "Alright, students, the remainder of the day will be about getting to know your professors and cabin mates. We've planned some fun activities to teach you about trust. If nothing else, we at West Marin Heights hope that by the end of the school term, you will learn to work together in harmony. Though you all come from different species with different customs, you will find that we have much in common."

"Fairy princess Iridessa, if you would be so kind as to distribute the students their cabin assignments?" The gorgeous fuchsia-haired fairy princess sets down her pipe and rises, and my tongue literally falls back in my throat, preventing oral speech. Somehow, her butterflies remain in crown formation. She clears her throat. "If you will all prepare yourselves ..." Her voice is kind of high-pitched and haunting—like a humpback whale.

Before I can prepare for anything, though, there's a deafening explosion, and then I'm spinning like a whirlpool in a cloud of sparkling fairy dust.

***

Next thing I know, I'm standing inside a wood cabin. My head is still going in circles. I topple backward and hit the wooden floor hard, right on my butt. "Holy crab! That hurt!" My heart is pounding, and I'm having a hard time catching my breath. Fairies can teleport people? And come on, magic shouldn't be sprung on people like that! You should at least have to wave a wand in the air or make up some cryptic incantation.