school dance

Eddie held onto his boyfriends hand tightly as they chained up their bikes and made their way to the school doors. It was the end of the year dance and Richie had talked Eddie's ear off about how fun it would be until he agreed to go. The truth was, Richie could care less about some school dance. He just really wanted to show off his boyfriend, and he wanted Eddie to have more confidence about being public.

"Are you ready Eddie Spaghetti?" Richie laughed at the horrible nickname and the rhyme.

"Don't make me turn us around Tozier." The small boy retaliated with a smile. He made sure to stay close to Richie, because oddly enough he was comforting, and they walked inside.

Eddie let Richie lead him, ignoring the few stares they got from students scattered throughout the hall. Music was flooding out of the gymnasium and surrounding the two as they got closer. The walk down the hallway seemed to take forever, giving Eddie plenty of time to start worrying. His hands were sweaty and his mouth was dry. He knew kids would pick on them, he knew they'd get weird looks, he just didn't know if he was ready for all of that at once. Especially in such a public event.

The upbeat songs didn't bother Eddie so much, he danced close to Richie- if you could call awkwardly moving around to the music 'dancing'- and no one payed them any attention. Eddie began to relax as he laughed with Richie. Then the DJ made an announcement that Eddie barely registered until the slow music began playing. Richie looked at him, his eyes hopeful. He wanted to dance with his boyfriend more than anything, but if Eddie wasn't comfortable he wouldn't force it.

But then Eddie wrapped his arms around Richie's waist and pulled him close slowly. His heart was racing and he knew people's eyes were on them. Instead of fearing their judgement- Eddie ignored them and only moved closer to Richie. He felt Richie's arms wrap around him and smiled up at the curly haired boy.

Richie swayed to the slow beat of the music, Eddie moving with him as he rested his head on Richie's chest. A smile tugged at his lips and the anxiety he'd been feeling melted away as he danced with the boy he was in love with. And even though it was a stupid school dance, both boys had butterflies in their stomach as they danced. Because it was them. They were together, in public. And they were proud to be together.

Richie leaned down, lifting Eddie's chin gently as he connected their lips in a soft kiss.

"I love you Eds."

"Don't call me that Trashmouth." Eddie giggled, hugging the boy close as the song was drowned out and the only thing they knew was each other.

Eddie had no idea why he was ever worried, he didn't care what anyone thought. He loved Richie. That's all that mattered.

eigthgrade