realization

"I'm heading to the bathroom." Richie said as he got up from the old picnic bench. He kissed Eddie's cheek and laughed then walked off. Eddie looked at all his friends when he felt their eyes on him.

"What?"

"You two." Beverly chuckled, as if she were expecting Eddie to know what that meant.

"What about us?" Eddie asked over the noise of the park rides and laughing families.

"You guys flirt so much, it's adorable!"

"We- we don't flirt-"

"Eddie he always buys you food."

"And he gives you his sweatshirts."

"He just won you all this stuff!"

Eddie blinked and looked down at the cotton candy in his hand, the oversized sweatshirt he was wearing and the huge teddy bear taking up half the table, surrounded by other small stuffed animals. His face was hot as he realized what it all meant. The way Richie would always find some way to touch him, whether it was holding his hand or resting his hand on Eddie's knee. The way Richie always sat and walked next to him when they were together. He was flirting with Eddie. And Eddie didn't mind at all. Eddie loved all the nicknames and all the smiles he got.

"What'd I miss?" Eddie heard Richie's voice as he took his sat back next to Eddie. Eddie refused to meet Richie's eyes, and moved away slightly so he and Richie weren't touching.

"What's going on?" Richie looked between Eddie and the other losers with a furrowed brow.

Eddie looked up at the curly haired boy with wide eyes and swallowed. "I'm in love with my best friend..."

Richie looked at the others, and with the looks they were giving him and Eddie and the way Eddie looked at him- it didn't take long for realization to dawn on Richie too. He knew what was going on.

"Eds?"

"What...?"

"So am I." Richie grinned his infamous grin and pulled the small boy into a tight hug as the different noises and amazing smells of the carnival surrounded them. The other losers all grinned and high fives each other as Richie and Eddie hugged each other close.

this is shit but so am i