Chapter 5: The...I Forgot

No one came back to the room at 4, so I just left. That didn't matter though, but I went and changed so my parents wouldn't know. Walking home, I gave myself another pep talk. I needed to keep some sanity, pretend that the innocent little girl they knew was there. And no one else stole her place. Dressed like an angel. I was placed in the same situation as yesterday. The usual. I reached the door, smiling like I had the best day of my life. Walking in, Kade came running towards me.

"Terra!"

"Hi, what are you doing today?" I kneeled down to his height.

"I was watching the...um... I forgot," He seemed puzzled, scratching his blond hair, his smile slowly fading. He shook his head, his grin returning, "Make me food! I'm hungry!"

"Okay, okay. What do you want?" I booped his nose. His nose crinkled up and his eyes shut.

"Ah! I wanna eat pancakes!"

"But you ate pancakes this morning!" I countered. Well, he probably did. I actually didn't know, but he usually does.

"Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes! I want Pancakes!"

"Okay, okay, pancakes it is."

I made the batter and poured it onto the thingy that you make stuff on. I don't know what to call it. Several minutes later, I yelled out, "Kade!Your pancakes are ready!" I put them on a plate. I didn't hear a reply. I ran into the living room, nervous. My heart beating was erratically, fear creeping up me. What if his headache caused something? I am probably overthinking. "Kade!"

"Up here!"

Whew. He was fine. My shoulders untensed. I hopped upstairs, wanting to grab Kade.

"Kade! Why'd you not reply?"

"I-"

He collapsed. His tiny arms and legs, going limp. The blood froze in my veins, my eyes widening. Something was wrong. I reached for my phone and dialed 911, telling them the address and such. "You're gonna be fine.You're gonna be fine." I repeated over and over again. I can't have more people leave me. I'm broken as it is. Waiting for the ambulance was torture, his heart was faintly beating, but apprehension filled my mind. I could hear the minuscule sound of the clock ticking. Tick. Tick. Tick. Anxiety stumbled into me, I wasn't able to handle holding a little boy in arms, he was looking so pale, so lifeless.

     The ambulance arrived, dragging out a gurney, I think. They placed my little brother into the clutches of the stretcher. I couldn't fathom him being gone, the little light was the one of the best things that's ever happened to me. The jumpy little boy was gone.

    The nurse lady that was there glanced at me as if I was a ticking time bomb, "You know you can ride in the ambulance right?"

    "I can?" My eyes lit up, at least I would be there with him.

    "Yep."

    "Thank you so so much."

    "It's my job," she smiled.

    I climbed into the back of the ambulance. Staring at Kade's small face, he was too young to die. I couldn't help but think what was wrong with him. It could be a number of things. Dehydration, cancer, tumor, anything really. I prayed it was just dehydration. It was all my fault, if I wasn't stupid, I would have known and sent him to the doctor beforehand. You did this to your naive, little brother. He's not even a real one though, but you did this. You did this. You made him suffer into this fate. It's your fault. Bloody loser.

    The anticipation of getting to hospital was creeping up my veins. It was taking too long. What if he died because we didn't get there fast enough? My heart literally jumped out of my chest. Okay, not literally.