Chapter 7. Queen Yihwa

............

........

Knock & Korn                         Queen Yihwa                          Bright & Farm

...................

Earlier in the day,  before the Atitarn's left for Hua Hin...

"You know Mai,  all this resentment isn't healthy.  He married you.  He's here at home with you every night and beside you in your bed.  You have two gorgeous, happy sons,  a roof over your head and food in your cupboard."  

Mai sat quietly and listened.  She'd blathered for twenty minutes while she made tea and basically told Kannika her whole life story.  

She popped open the lid of the cookie box that Kannika had brought for the twins and,  choosing a couple of each kind,  she placed them on a plate that sat between the women.

"But you can't imagine what it's like P'Kannika to know that your husband was once in love with your brother."

Kannika took one of her own cookies and dipped it in her tea.  She chewed slowly before she spoke again.  "Nong,  brother or not,  there are very few people who get married to someone that hasn't been in love before.  You can't live your life worried about who your partner may have loved in the past.  Was Phubet the first person you ever loved?"

Mai kinda rolled her head in a guilty grimace.  "No.  I guess I was in love a couple of times before I met Phubet."

"You see dear,  whether it was your brother or not, makes no difference.  My husband was married once before me.  I know for a fact that he's been in love a number of times,  as have I."  Kannika giggled a bit. "I realize we're much older than you and Phubet.  You know I'm more than twenty years my brother's senior but,  when it comes to love, we're all the same Mai.    The people I loved before I met my husband,  seldom cross my mind.  I remember the Admiral telling me he fell in love when he was in college,  he married that girl.  But,  she couldn't survive being the wife of a Naval man,  she left him.  Later he was in love with an elegant young man way back when, but, he too could not manage the long separations,  the Admiral lost that love too."  

Kannika held her hand to her breast.  "Believe me,  there were times when I knew exactly how they felt.  My husband makes light of it now,  because he says he falls in love easily, and, has given his love to so many.  He tells me, now that I have it, I'm the one who can keep his heart forever."

Kannika watched as Mai seemed to be taking in what she was saying.  "You're so fortunate Nong,  the house we're in now,  your family home,  is the first home I've ever had.  Akkarat and I never had children because he was away so often and, he felt it wasn't right for me to raise them alone.  We both thought it best.  You have everything I ever wanted."