Chapter 50: Battle Cries

Start from the beginning

I went down countless stairs trying to find the right floor. It was like we were on the very top floor. There were no elevators or signs to tell me where I was. I was running blind. I kept running even thought the man I love was fighting for his life. I kept running even when my lungs started hurting and I wanted so badly to stop. I kept running because I was afraid to stop.

“Hey!” Arthur shouted. “Mason Faye? What are you doing here? This is the a Council only floor. You do not have clearance to be down here.”

Being confronted with Noah's father wasn't the worst thing to happen, but he did remind me of Noah. I left without telling him anything. He has to be wondering what happened to me. I shook my head. I couldn't worry about that right now. I took a deep breath, then I ran in the opposite direction of Arthur.

“Hey!” Arthur yelled behind me. Heavy footsteps followed me and I knew he was following me. “Stop Mason Faye!”

I ignored his calls and kept searching. There were no more stairs so this had to be the floor. There was one door at the end of the hall that looked like there was a secret behind it. Lined along the walls were short pillars with busts of Council members on top of them. Once I got to the door, I yanked at the knob, kicked, hit it and I even tried to bite it, but nothing happened. It wouldn't open. I banged on it and no one answered.

“You are not allowed to be on this floor!” Arthur had me trapped. “Turn around, look at me Ms. Faye. You need to come with me.”

“I can't,” I said breathlessly. The running took more out of me than I thought. “Where is Heir? I have to find him. I have to set him free. I don't want to press charges on him anymore. I just want to take him and go.”

“I cannot let you do that. You are now Henry's mate. He notified all Council members that you are to be captured and detained until he could get to you. Now come with me. I will not ask you so politely again,” he held his hand out for me.

In that moment, he reminded me of Myles holding his hand out to me. The temptation to take his hand was big, but I knew if I did I would never see Myles again. I couldn't bare the thought of that. I really did love that man.

“I'm not going anywhere with you,” I shook my head 'no.'

Arthur walked up to me, “then I will have to do this the hard way.”

There wasn't time for a struggle and I didn't have the patience for it. I picked up one of the bust and smashed it against Arthur's face. A line of blood trailed down his face before he crumpled to the ground. Surprisingly it gave me the idea to use a bust to break the nob off of the door.

It came off like cheap upholstery and I pushed the door open. The room was dark but I knew Heir was in here. I could smell him...and blood. I felt around from a light switch and when I found one, I braced myself before turning it on. I had to stay optimistic. I had to believe he was still alive.

“Heir,” I called his name just as I clicked the switch. Slump against the wall in a corner was Heir. He wasn't moving. I took hesitant steps towards him, fearing the worst. “Heir,” I croaked. I couldn't accept him dying. He was the one I was suppose to save.

All of my fear halted when I heard a slight moaning. He was alive. I dropped to my knees in front of him. I lifted his chin and surveyed his face. It was a mess but still in one piece. “Heir come on,” I pulled one of his arms across my shoulders. “We're leaving. We're never coming back here.”

“It hurts,” he muttered half dazed. “Stop.” He dropped back down on his knees.

“I can't. I have to get you out of here. I'm not going to let anything else happen to you. You want to see Talia again don't you? Come on!” I half cried, half yelled. I know it was a lie but I had to get him to move.

“My sister,” he muttered. “Okay,” he stood on shaky legs and I began walking us out of the room. As we passed Arthur's body, I thought about finding a way to get Heir out first then I could go back for Myles. However, the only door I know that lead outside are the ones on the floor I just left. “Heir I'm gonna need you to stay awake okay.” He nodded. Right then I had to make a decision, I could make Heir walk all of those stairs or waste time trying to find another exit.

“What in the hell do you think you're doing? That boy is a prisoner awaiting a death sentence. You have no jurisdiction to take him,” the Council membercalled Simon blatantly reminded me. “Bring him back here!”

I turned and scowled at him, “fuck off!” I shouted as loud as I could and ascended the stairs with a stumbling Heir. Even in our extenuating circumstances, that felt so good. I've wanted to do that to every member of the Council since I first heard of them in grade school. “Keep going Heir. We need to get to the very top.”

“Stop, I said stop!” Simion shouted behind us. I kept going. My lungs were stinging even harder but I pushed through it. We were almost there when something hooked unto the collar of my shirt and yanked me backwards. I felled down a lot of stairs. It knocked the breath out of me. The pain was unrelenting. It felt like I broke a rib. I was laying face down on the stairs with the metallic taste of blood in my mouth.

I tried to speak but I ended up gargling some of my blood. I looked up at Simion holding Heir up by his neck. Heir was choking. This couldn't be happening. My blood pulsated in my veins. This was all my wolf could do. I was disoriented so she took the opportunity to take over. I couldn't see anything anymore.

Flashes of movement danced around my eyes. I saw claws, blood and sheer terror, but it wasn't my own. When I finally fazed back into consciousness, I was standing over Simion's body. His throat was slit and my hand was covered in blood. My heartbeat was abnormally fast.

I didn't think, I just did. I grabbed Heir's arm and wrapped it around my shoulders again and continued climbing the stairs. We both took each painful step together. I wanted to cry but I couldn't let Heir see me crying. I had to be strong for both of us.

When we finally got to the top floor, I felt like rejoicing but we weren't out of the danger yet. I slowly walked down the hall listening to the roaring battle ahead. I could hear Myles and Henry battle cries. “We're almost there, then you can rest,” I whispered.

I almost smiled until I heard some other voices. Henry wasn't fighting this battle alone. I pushed Heir to walk quicker. I had to see what was happening. I stood at the opening of the hallway watching the battle unfold. I saw Henry clawed and covered in blood, but still standing. Then their was a man I didn't know, but assumed was a Council member, dead on the floor. It looked as if someone ripped his throat out. Then I saw Myles. He was standing on a balcony with blood covering his mouth and holding one of his arms. He was injured. His eyes were low and he looked like he was having a hard time standing up. And then the unexpected happened. Henry pulled out a gun, aimed it at Myles chest, and fired.

It was like my world was completely caving in. Myles flipped over the railing and started dropping. While his body dropped everything went in slow motion. The sickening thud as his body connect with the ground will forever be a stain in my mind. I could hardly contain the scream that came out of my mouth, “Myles!”