Chapter 47: We're not out of the woods yet

“If we can hitch a ride, everything would be okay.” I replied skeptically. After spending the night in that infested apartment, I was happy that Myles woke me up early to leave.

“We can't just catch a ride with anyone. We're like sitting ducks,” Myles said. “They will know something is up and anyone can try to take you from me, mate or not. People out here either wants you for your body or to sell you,” he shook his head, “and I can't let that happen.”

I just nodded and kept walking. “Hey Myles, where are we? What section are we in?”

“Old Washington D.C.,” my hope faltered. I wonder how long it took for them to get me here. It had to have been days. How could that be? I know that back then their use to be planes, helicopters, and jets, but they were all banned and discontinued forty years ago. Julius Alcoff was a very paranoid man. My Grandparents told me how he stopped them because he believe enemy forces was trying to kill him.

Since I lived in sector nine which use to be Old Florida, it was going to take us forever to get to my parents. However, if I could get to a phone, I could call my mom and she could meet us somewhere. “Myles, we need a phone.”

“Sure just let me pull one out of nowhere,” he said sarcastically while rolling his eyes.

“Asshole,” I muttered under my breath.

“What was that?” he scowled at me.

“Nothing.”

“Yeah, I bet it was nothing,” he said. I didn't like his tone but I didn't want to be caught in an argument right now. He had enough to worry about, like how we were going to eat. I stomach was starting to speak to me.

“Myles?” I said hesitantly.

“Huh?” he said without looking back at me.

“I'm hungry.”

He stopped in his tracks and turned to me. “I know, I'll find you something to eat soon,” he gave me a lopsided smile. I don't know what it is but Myles make me feel safe even when we're obviously not. I hate that every time he smiles at me it evaporates all my anger for him. Then I start feeling guilty. What about Noah? He doesn't even know where I am. Am I ever going to see him again, to at least tell him how I feel about him?

“Myles, look!” I pointed. “There's a car coming.”

I lifted my hand to start waving but Myles shoved it back down and pulled me behind a tree. “Hey, what are you doing!”

“Shhh, keep your voice down. We don't know who that could be. You have to be cautious Mason. See,” he pointed to man slowing driving by in the car. “Look closer”

“What?” I shrugged. “It's just a man driving.”

“Look at the symbol on his neck,” Myles whispered. “He's working for the council. My father's probably using him to find us. He tried to cover the mark but you can still see that, right?”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “I really had hope that he was an average man who could have given us a ride.”

“Didn't I tell you that everything is not as it seems?” he looked down at me. “I'll get the rides, you stay calm.”

I shook my head and followed Myles down to a stream. As I stood on the bank watching Myles try to catch a fish, I thought about that dream place that me, Jillian and the other girls thought about going once we had escaped Victorn Girls Academy. That dream would never be fulfilled for all of us anymore. Maybe it was never meant to be.

I sat down by the trunk of the tree with my hands cradled in my lap. I don't know what's going to happen to us now. How did he expect me to be calm?