Chapter 10: Mason's Brief Family History (edited)

A/N

This chapter is more of a filler. There will be a lot more to come. Not everything is going to be gloomy and horrible, but right now it is. In later chapters new characters will be introduced with new twists. Hope you enjoy and please comment.

*************************************************************************************

"Then about a week after that, my roommate was sold to a garbage man. I talked to one of the girls that didn't get sold and she told me that Crystal was sold for a hundred dollars. I remembered the day they came for her. She kept fighting so they had to drug her," Jillian finished.

"The drug didn't kick in fast enough so one of the guards it her over the head with a lamp."

I was so engrossed in Jillian's story that neither one of us had notice Sammy, Caroline and Angela enter the room. They all just took a seat on the floor and listened in, "Hi, guys," I said. They all gave me fictitious smiles. "So how much of that did you hear?"

"A lot," Caroline brought her knees to her chest. "I'm so sorry Jillian."

"No, it's okay. It wasn't your fault and after today, I won't have anything to worry about. We're going to get out of here and never look back," she sniffled.

"What about your family, Mason?" Sammy asked in her southern twang. "There has to be someone who have you that don't-gove-a-shit deamenor."

"Well..." I smiled. "My family is great. Of course we weren't rich, but my dad had a great job. I never had to ask for much, he always gave it to me. We had the normal family dinners, the game nights, and the awkward sex talks," I explained. "My mom was born in Canada and was thirteen when she moved to the US. The auctions had been going on for twenty-one years by then."

"And..." Jillian urged. "Come on, I told you my story. You're next," she cuddled up with her pillow.

"There's nothing much to say. My parents were great. My mom was my best friend. She was sold to my dad when she was fifteen. He was twenty-eight and had asked my grandfather for a loan. Believe me, he needed it. All the time he would complain about how expensive she was. He said he loved her since he first saw her," I chuckled lightly. "He almost carried her out of there over his shoulder. He was in a bidding war with another middle-age man. He almost didn't get her."

"Did he love her?" Caroline asked.

"Yes, he does," I said. "She loves him too. I could tell. He told me that since he was about five when the auctions started, he wasn't corrupted by the fact that women were being sold. He said that no matter what he would treat his mate with the respect she deserves. He was a real gentleman, at least that's what my mom says."

"So what happened after he bought her?" Caroline asked and the question made my flinch at the word 'bought'.

"Nothing," I shrugged.

"Nothing?!" Jillian, Sammy, Carolina, and Angela said in unison.

"Yes, nothing. He waited until she was ready to fall for him. He already knew he was in love as soon as he saw her. He wanted her to come to him, willingly. It took her two years to agree to go on a date with him." They all looked at me curiously.

"I can't believe he was okay with her not putting out as soon as he got her," Angela stated. "That's unheard of. My mom told me that my dad took her as soon as they got to the house."

I shrugged, "I guess my grandparents raised him with morals, even when the world was chaotic. After their first date, there were even more dates. After another year, they decided to get married and give into the sexual tension," I felt my cheek getting warm. I thought talking about my parent consummating their marriage would make me sick, but it only gave me hope. They were the only two people I knew who had a stable relationship.

"So what happened then?" Jillian asked eagerly.

"My mom got pregnant a few weeks later," I frowned. "One day she saw blood and then she lost the baby. He would have been a boy. For four months she carried him and then she miscarried. She blamed herself. Dad said it took months for her to leave the baby room."

"Oh Mason," Sammy said.

"It's okay. I never met him, but sometimes I would see a longing in my mom's eyes. After my brother died, the doctors said she wouldn't be able to carry a baby to full term."

"And your mom proved him wrong," Jillian smiled.

"No, actually he was right. Five years after my brother died, my mom got pregnant with me. She almost lost me. I was two months premature," I replied. "She sometimes calls me blue jay because of my eyes. She said they were the same color as my father's and Jay's. Jay is what my brother's name would have been."

"See, this must be a sign," Angela propped herself on her knees. "Mason, you were meant to live, to get us out of here. The universal wanted you to make a different. I have faith in you. You've already beat and odd. I know we haven't known each other long but I think that we can do this. I have nothing left to lose."

"I hope for all our sakes that-that's the truth," I said. "Okay, your turn Sammy."

"My turn?!" she repeated.

"Yeah, your turn, spill it!" Angela ordered. "This is sharing day, so share!"