Chapter 1: The Glimmer of Light

The sky was a dull grey, the rays of sunlight pierce the thick cloud as if trying to illuminate the dim world below. It was late in the afternoon, around 3:30 and the bell of a High school signalled its end of its activities. The children in uniforms of blue jumpers, and black pants all darted out chatting and chuckling as they went home. A girl with ginger frizzy hair down to her shoulder and brown eyes waited outside the door.

She waited for a familiar friend, presented as mid-teen boy of dull orange-leaning to brown – scruffy hair and brown eyes "Haru!" I jumped sharply, nearly dropping my  bag "Easy, it's just me. I swear you fall for this every time"

"I've told you not to do that" he moaned to her "you know what my nerves are like"

"Yeah jittery we get it" a boy of much more tidy light blonde hair, somewhat spiked slightly "Jeez you do need to a grow pair don't you?"

"We can't all be as cool as you Ewan" replied the girl with hands on hips

"Don't give me that Sara, well then shall we be ready to go?"

As the trio left together, and turn the corner the boy heard a fierce shout "Robbers! Hand us your Money!" the shock knocked him away to the floor, to be followed by a mocking laugh of a boy and his cronies

"Oh...I swear it gets better every time" it was a boy with a raggy like shirt on and jumper tied round his waist with dull dark chin length hair

"Seriously Varly" said Sara helping me up "One of these days he's going to have an heart attack"

"Not my fault he's the easiest to scare...my sister has more balls than him, and she's four years old"

"Have you tried being in his position?" asked Ewan who confronted Varley "Maybe you could talk big if you could relate. Now haven't you got somewhere to go" it was a brief stand-off, Varley smirking as he stepped away

"We do indeed...come on guys" the boys followed behind laughing and high-fiving one another

"Haru...don't you think it's going long enough? It's been six months now"

"I know but...I can't forget what happened. If forgetting painful memories was that easy...many issues of the world would be over"

"You...make a point"

Ewan made a heavy sigh, as the rumble of thunder echoed it's pending arrival "well come on let's get back...before instead of the bus, we have to rent a boat"

"Oh yeah...it's supposed to be proper stormy tonight isn't it?" asked Sara as the hum of a red bus passed her by "And here it is"

"Come on let's go" running down the pathed road, they all alighted the red bus, sitting at the back as normal. Haru looked looked out the back window...to see Varley simply talking to his mates, but as he looked down...I had to blink.

Haru witnessed Varley's shadow – which followed the motions of it's owner – but it appeared...thicker or longer than the others. Haru continued to look...to see what he thought was a third arm extrude, red dots coming from it "Hey, hey what are you looking at?" a pat to Haru's shoulder - by Sara - broke his concentration to which Haru looked back to see the shadow now normal

"Hmm...nothing. Just people watching" Haru replied putting it to his nerves at the sight I saw. Despite the words trying to more convince Haru himself he was not able to shed the thought, as what was left of the sunlight became smothered in darkness.