promises part two

3rd Person

Y/n sighed as she watched El and Mike reunite. It wasn't a sigh of relief, or of tiredness, but a sigh of defeat.

She had lost Mike. Her worst nightmare was becoming a reality. As the two hugged, she ran out the back door of the Byers' house.

No one noticed.

No one followed.

At least that's what y/n thought.

As she sobbed out the back of the house, Steve opened the door and sat down beside her.

"Hey, you okay? What's wrong?"

She said nothing, flinging her arms around the older male, still sobbing viciously.

"Is this about Mike? And that girl?"

Y/n nodded, as Steve hugged her back, calming her down.

"Listen, y/n. One day, you'll find the person you're meant to be with. Don't let this one thing bring you down."

Y/n smiled at Steve's words. After y/n was calmer, Steve went back inside.

He told everyone that she just needed some fresh air, and that she'd be back any moment.

But she didn't come back in. Everyone in the house started to worry about the girl, but no one went to check on her.

Mike thought about going out, but decided against it.

No one knew that would be the biggest mistake of his life.

As everyone began discussing a plan to close the gate, and help Will, they completely forgot about the girl outside.

She sat there, in the cold, waiting for someone to get her. Maybe then she'd feel like someone cared for her.

Her eyes were still clouded with tears, and she couldn't see anything around her. The darkness of the forest also didn't help.

The darkness was overwhelming.

She couldn't see the shed that was almost right in front of her.

She couldn't see the cars and bikes out the front of the house.

She couldn't see the Demodog sneaking up behind her.

There was a deafening scream from outside. Everyone in the house turned to the back door.

A single thought passed through all their minds.

Y/n.

Everyone ran to the back door, just as the Demodog stabbed it's claws into her side.

Steve ran towards it, and batted it off her. She was alive, thankfully, but was bleeding a lot.

Eleven finished off the Demodog, and Steve picked the girl up off the floor. He carried her inside, and lay her down in Joyce's room.

There was blood everywhere, and y/n was unconscious. Hopper fixed up her wound, and they left her on the bed.

When she awoke, she was suprised to see Mike by her side, holding her hand.

"M-Mike?"

The frail voice caught Mike's attention, as he lifted his head to see y/n attempting to sit up.

Y/n was even more suprised to see that Mike had been crying.

Y/n hissed in pain, and squeezed Mike's hand. She lay back down, looking at the wound.

"What the hell happened?" She whispered.

"You went outside, for some reason, and a Demodog got you. Steve brought you inside and Hopper cleaned up your wound."

"Where is everyone?"

Mike continued to explain that Hopper and Eleven were at the lab, closing the gate, Steve and the kids were dragging the Demodogs away from the gate and everyone else was trying to burn the virus out of Will.

"-which left me here with you."

"You sound... sad about that."

"No! No of course not. I... I love being around you. It just hurts me seeing you like this. Bleeding and in pain, you know? I also feel bad. Really bad."

"Why, Mike?"

Y/n's grip on the boy's hand loosened, as she looked into his eyes, which were full of mixed emotions.

"Because I was going to check on you. And I didn't. And then you were attacked. You almost died."

Y/n's gaze softened as she saw Mike's eyes well up again. She began to feel tears in her eyes as well, and soon they both had tears streaming down their faces.

The night went on, and Mike began to feel tired. Y/n shuffled over slowly, as to not injure herself more, leaving a space big enough for Mike.

He crawled into the bed beside her, and they fell asleep. The next morning, Mike woke up first.

He was slightly shocked, but not suprised to see y/n's arms wrapped tightly around him.

A thought occurred to him, as he lay there watching her.

"Hey, y/n." He said, trying to wake the sleeping girl. After a couple of pokes on her cheek, she woke up.

"What, Mike?"

"Why did you go outside?"

Y/n sighed. This was the one thing she didn't want to talk about.

"I went outside because El came back."

"Wait, why?"

"Do you not remember the promise we made?"

"Of course I do."

"Exactly. El came back and you could be with her. I told myself that I couldn't be sad because I was the one who made the promise. But I was. I was sad."

More tears fell down y/n's face. Mike hugged the crying girl.

"What if... what if I told you that you didn't need to keep the promise."

Y/n's eyes widened as she looked at Mike, who was the same colour as a tomato.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, what if I told you that I didn't want to be with El?"

Before y/n could even say something else, Mike pressed his lips against hers.

To say that y/n was happy would be an understatement. She was ecstatic. This was the moment she'd dreamt of for ages.

"Look, up until today, I was convinced that I still loved El. But when she came back, I realised that I saw her as nothing more than a friend."

Y/n was still in somewhat of a state of shock. Mike didn't love El anymore. And he had kissed her. Which only meant one thing.

"I love you y/n."

The four words almost killed y/n inside. In a good way of course.

"I love you too, Mike."

Mike stuck his pinky finger out, and y/n gave him a weird look.

"Promise?"

Y/n giggled at Mike's childishness, but stuck out her pinky too.

"Promise."

Now this, was a promise y/n intended to keep.