Arguments

I'm barely outside before a scaly black tail wraps around my waist, preventing me from going any further. I sigh. "Can I help you, Hiccup?"

"Artemis, are you seriously going to sleep outside just to avoid us?" Hiccup asks. "Yes," I say bluntly. "It's nice, actually. It's not the first time I've slept outside." He shakes his head. "It's not safe out there at night."

"I can handle myself," I say, lightly removing Toothless's tail from me. He instead coils it around my wrist, looking at me with big eyes. "Artemis, what are you so afraid of?" Hiccup asks me. I can see how worried he is. "I'm scared only of one thing, Hiccup," I reply, looking him dead in the eye. "Failing to protect dragons."

"And why does that tie into keeping away from people?" He pressed me for answers. "Because if people know me better, they'll learn my weaknesses. They could use that against me and then find the way to my island and the way to get to my partners. If that ever happened I could never forgive myself."

I said it almost automatically, which seemed to not help my case much. "That's all the more reason to be around others, you can make allies!" Hiccup argues. "If I thought it was safe, I would've already asked," I sigh. "Now just leave me alone. You have more important things to do than fail to talk me out of this."

"I really don't, actually," he shrugs. "How does a future Chief not have any work to do?" I question. "I'm not sure about that either, to be honest," he admits, rubbing the back of his neck. "But you're not going to sleep outside. It's unsafe."

"Like I said, I can handle myself," I remind him. "I'm not saying you can't, Artemis. I'm saying that it's not safe out there." "Hiccup, just drop it," I tell him firmly. "You can't stop me."

I can practically see the wheels turning in his head as he gets a plan. "I can't... but he can."

Toothless tosses me onto his back before I can say a word of protest, but another dragon takes me from him as soon as I touch his saddle. "Thanks, Flashwing," I nod to my partner, who rawks in reply. Then I turn back to Hiccup. "Did you really think that you could stop me with a dragon?"

"Who said that that was the whole plan?"

It's then that I'm grabbed from behind and thrown to the floor, a large weight pinning me down. "You having fun there, Meatlug?" I snap. The Gronkle just rawks.

"Good girl!" I hear Fishlegs praise his partner. "But Hiccup, tell me again why you wanted her to do this. I'm confused."

While they're talking, I scratch a certain spot under Meatlug's chin and her body goes limp on top of me, giving me the chance to roll out from underneath her. I mount Flashwing just as I'm caught in the act.

Toothless makes a whining noise to alert the humans. "Toothless, don't let them get to the forest," Hiccup says. "Stand down, boy," I tell the Night Fury. "We'll be fine out there. Trust us."

Toothless looks between Hiccup and me. Flashwing rawks to him and it seems to help him decide as he growls but sits down obediently. "Thank you, Toothless," I nod to him gratefully as Flashwing takes off. We head out to the forest.

Once we land we look for a cave to spend the night in, though it's not too easy in the dark. Flashwing admittedly did most of the work since she has better eyesight than me. I'd allow myself to remove my mask but knowing Hiccup he's followed me out here, so I don't.

"Quit hiding, I know you're there," I call out, steps not faltering. I hear a soft groan from behind me, quickly followed by the rustling of leaves and the beating of powerful wings. Finally they land next to Flashwing and I.

"How did you spot a Night Fury in the dark?" Hiccup asks. To be honest I didn't even know for sure that they were there, I just said it so they would come out if that was the case. "I have my ways," I shrug as an answer. "Now why were you following us?"

"I'm worried about you," he admits. "I know you can handle yourself out here, but it just doesn't feel right." "Well to you it may not feel right, but the pair of us are good to go," I shrug, patting Flashwing's side. She rawks happily.

"Would you be more comfortable staying with Astrid than me?" He asks. "Well, yes, but I'd much rather be out here," I reply. "You can't change my mind on this, Hiccup."

"Then it looks like Toothless and I will stay out here with you," he declares. Toothless looks at him like he told him not to have dragon nip for a week. "That takes the whole point out of staying out here in the first place," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Then come back with us."

I sigh. "You are the most stubborn person I have ever met. Just leave me alone." "No, Artemis. You can't be out here alone." He argues. "I'm not alone, Flashwing is with me," I remind him of my partner.

"Please, Artemis," he says. I take in the desperation on his face. He really is scared for me. If only he could fully understand what he should be scared about. "I'm not going with you, I can't trust you," I tell him. "It isn't safe for me to be around you. I shouldn't even be on this island at all. Just forget I exist. You've done it before and you can do it again."

Okay, looking back I never should've said that last part, but that only further proves that being around others is a distraction. I need to keep my guard up. If they know who I am, they can get to my partners. I know that Hiccup wouldn't, but I don't know who he would tell, or who they would tell, until the word spreads to the wrong ears.

No, definitely best to keep my distance. I turn on my heel and walk off, Flashwing at my heels, before Hiccup can utter another word.