Arrival On Berk

As soon as I hear a familiar song, I know I'm close to Berk. Harmony adjusts her route slightly so we can land as soon as possible while I pull up my mask. I can't have anyone knowing who I am.

"In and out, Harmony," I instruct. "In and out." She rawks in response to that, agreeing completely. I finally see Berk approaching and I hold my breath in anticipation. Will I even have to see anyone? If I do, will anyone recognise me? What will people do once they realise the 'legendary dragon master' is on their island?

I sigh the fears away when I hear shouts from below me. I glance downwards to see fishermen pointing up at us. "They've got a Death Song!" "They've tamed a Death Song!" "Who are they?" "Could it be the Dragon Master?"

I smile beneath my mask. I never thought I'd be famous like this before. I fly past them, petting Harmony in the process. I can tell she's not sure how she likes the attention she's getting. Well, she's not alone there.

I land on Berk at last and look around. Crowds are already gathering, some roaring about Harmony being a 'dangerous, uncontrollable beast like the other Death Song' and others were in awe of how she was tame and not singing (she only sings to find prey or when I ask her to help lure in dragon riders who get too close to my island).

"What's all this going on?" A gruff voice demands, power radiating off of it. I turn towards the sound just as a small man about my age and a large, much older man break through the crowd that's formed. I recognise them both almost instantly.

Hiccup and Stoick.

This may be a problem, even if it was one I was expecting. Hiccup was often at the School of Dragons when I attended. He sometimes made the effort to talk to me and make a fuss over Stylive. Hopefully the change in appearance, the mask and a new dragon will shield me from the past.

Hiccup and Stoick freeze when they see me. I avoid direct eye contact from them both. Luckily, though, I never met Stoick in person, so I can be around him as much as needed.

"And who do we have here?" Stoick asked. "I was asked to come here," I reply, unraveling the note I was sent and showing it to him. His eyes widened, presumably when he read the part about me being the 'dragon master' everyone keeps describing me as. He looked at me suspiciously. "This is you?"

"A name was obviously never used, so I have no way to tell for sure if I'm this so-called 'dragon master' you speak of, but I fit the description," I reply. A few people gasp when I mention my apparent title.

"Hiccup, did you send this?" Stoick asked his son, handing him the note. "Yes," Hiccup confirms after scanning it briefly. "I knew it was a long shot, but I had to try. The myths say they know how to tame countless dragons, some that I can't even figure out! They're our best hope."

Stoick nods before turning to me. "I am Stoick the Vast, the chief of Berk. Judging by your dragon you can tame a Death Song whether you're who we're expecting or not. My son has rightfully promised you a handsome reward if you can remove this Death Song from our home."

"I did not come here for the reward," I reply. "I only came to help the dragon. Where is it located?" "The Death Song built a nest up that way," Hiccup answered, pointing towards the cliffs. The last time I was here, there was a lake or something down there... or was it a farm?

I nod to Hiccup and fly over on Harmony. She rawks nervously once we're in the air. "Don't worry, girl," I whisper encouragingly to her. "Nothing will happen to us. We'll just fly this guy to Melody Island, I've already brought some eels."

Harmony relaxed a little at that. We turned a corner and I was shocked. Hiccup was right, there was an enormous Death Song amber nest here. The singing had gotten louder and I could even see the large Death Song in its nest.

I listen to it's song. It may sound like random notes, but each Death Song has an alluring and unique call. If a Viking can mimic this call, the Death Song will allow itself to be tamed.

1, 2, 3... 4 5. 1, 2, 3... 4 5. "Mimic it," I tell Harmony, who obeys. The Death Song pauses, confused. That gained its attention, now I can take over. I dismount Harmony and walk into sight of the Death Song.

It lands in front of me and bellows its song. I repeat it. It looked at me in confusion, tilting its head. It calls me again. I send its song back at it. We continue this a few more times until the Death Song lays down next to me, beaten.

I place a slow and gentle hand in the usual spot. It closes its eyes, accepting me. "Thank you for trusting me," I tell it. "I want to take you somewhere where you'll have plenty of food, water and space. You'll be away from all those annoying vikings. I want to take you to Melody Island."

The Death Song looks at me before standing up, rawking. "I'm not trying to hurt you," I coax it. "I won't hurt you. I want to help you."

The Death Song slowly calms down. I pull an eel from Harmony's saddle bag, holding it up. Death Songs are one of the few dragons that actually like eels, so it tried to eat it. I allow it to do so.

"I'll give you another on the way there, if you'd like," I tell it. It starts singing in response. I mimic its song, causing it to rawk in delight. "Come with us, then. You don't need to lure in dragons anymore. I know you prefer eels to dragons."

It nods and follows me obediently. Its already stopped singing so I know it's safe to head back out there without every dragon nearby becoming attracted to it. I mount Harmony and she starts walking out of the farm in the cliffs, the new Death Song following.