Death Wish

WARNING: angst, mentions of depression/suicide/ murder. don't read if you're triggered easily.

Sullivan Day stood balancing on the edge of the cliff, feeling like she always did: empty. No fear, or excitement, or anxiety, maybe just a little disappointment, but that was it. She wondered what it would be like if she jumped into the dark murky waters below. Just as she was contemplating this, she heard the crunch of the ground behind her. She twisted around to meet the many gazes of the Bower's gang.
"Well , well, well, who do we have here?" Patrick Hockstetter asked, looking her up and down, his tongue darting out to lick his lips.
"I know you, you're that quiet kid in my English class," Vic spoke. "What's your name? Sally? Scully?"
"Sullivan," she corrected dully, her face stoic, as always.
"Sullivan? That's a weird ass name," Henry Bowers smirked.
She just blinked at the boy, not showing any hint of being offended- not showing any emotion, really.
"Do you know how deep the water is?" She questioned, turning back to meet the ledge of the cliff.
"Oh yeah, not deep at all- real shallow," Patrick lied through his teeth. He figured she was afraid to jump, so naturally, his plan was to scare her a bit. The other boys soon caught on.
"Yeah, you jump, you'll definitely break your neck," Henry agreed.
"Is that so?" She murmured.
Patrick moved to push her off, just so he could hear the scream of a girl who thought she was going to die. However, Sullivan had already fallen forward on her own accord. All the boys rushed to the edge in complete bewilderment as she landed with a splash.
The girl's head soon broke the surface water, and she did not look amused. She shifted her empty gaze to meet with Patrick Hockstetter's.
"You lied," she stated. She slowly climbed out of the water, now soaked and a little irritated. Honestly, she was more upset that she hadn't felt anything during the fall. She believed she was going to die and she felt no relief, regret...nothing.
     "What the hell is the matter with you?!" Henry suddenly shouted. They were all a little irritated they hadn't been able to strike terror in her like the rest of Derry. "We said you'd fucking die if you jumped! You got a death wish or something, sunshine?" He asked rhetorically.
    "Something like that," she said, loud enough for them to barely hear her. She didn't spare a glance as she vanished into the dark forest. Patrick carefully watched as she disappeared.
    "What the fuck was her problem?" Belch murmured.
    No one answered him, because they didn't know either. However, all Patrick could think of was how he'd never met anyone like that, so indifferent towards their own demise. How could someone be so I'm afraid of death? Unless, unless they knew they couldn't die. The only thing reeling through his head was the alarming thought that she could actually be real. He didn't like that. She couldn't- wouldn't replace him as the only living thing. So, Patrick concluded there was only one thing he could do. He had been down this path before, so he would treat it all the same: he was going to kill Sullivan Day.

                               ***
     A week later, I trudged into school like I would any other day, tired and fifteen minutes early. Being the social outcast that I was (though I didn't mind that much), I tried my best to avoid crowds, and the hallways were packed with students in the morning. So naturally, I would arrive to school and get to class before anyone else.
    However, today was slightly different. The school staff must have not unlocked the front doors yet, because they wouldn't budge. This was no problem though, it's happened before. So I circled around to the back of the building, where the janitors never bothered to lock the doors. Though when I rounded the corner, I was suddenly slammed into a brick wall.
     Mostly unfazed  (give or take a little startled), I looked up to meet the murderous gaze of Patrick Hockstetter. His forearm was leaning on my neck, slightly suffocating me. I'm not sure how he could've known where I'd be, unless he had been stalking me- which wouldn't be surprising from a boy like Patrick.
    "I know you're real," he growled accusingly, pressing down harder on my wind pipe. I wasn't sure what to say or what he was talking about, so I took the safe route and tried not to anger the fuming boy further.
   "Uh-um, yeah...you caught me," I wheezed unsurely.
   "So you admit it?" He spat.
    "Sure?" I murmured, not sure as to what I was confessing to.
    He continued to semi-strangle me before I finally got fed up with this game.
   "If you're going to beat me up or something, you should do it already. School is going to start soon," I mumbled, struggling to breathe.
    "Oh, I'm not gonna beat you up. I'm gonna kill you," he explained casually. 
    I stared at him. This wasn't exactly a shocker that Patrick Hockstetter would be willing to murder, but I was kind of confused as to why me. But yet again, I fished for feelings that I knew I wouldn't have. I wanted to feel full on fear, or anger, or something to indicate I didn't want to die today. For such a long time I had been trapped in a downwards spiral. I didn't think I was really depressed, or suicidal, I was just hollow inside; lethargic to my own existence.
     "Then do it," I sighed, finally giving into my apathetic disposition.
    He looked taken back by this. I wasn't struggling or screaming, but standing there aloof, accepting my fate.
    "You're no fun," he stated, suddenly releasing the pressure on my throat. I watched as he twisted around with a frown and stalked away.
                                 ***
     Patrick wasn't sure why he hadn't choked the life out of Sullivan Day right  then and there. In fact, he was utterly bewildered by his own actions the rest of the day. He no longer really considered the girl a threat, seeing as she didn't seem the type to overthrow him. He could see how desolate her eyes were, how indifferent she was to her own existence, why would she care to replace him? However, one thing that did still bother him was that he didn't know what her purpose was in his world. Well, since she was also real, it could be considered both of their worlds...Patrick didn't like that. Sharing was not his forte. He then decided he would just have to make it perfectly clear that he was superior, although Patrick figured that was already pretty obvious.
                                 ***
"HEY! SHIT FOR BRAINS!" The utterly petrifying voice of Henry Bowers cut through the halls like a plague. Everyone silenced and parted like the Red Sea for Henry, who was followed by Victor and Belch.
Everyone watched with fear and curiosity as he stormed up the hallway to whoever the poor soul was that made his blood boil so viciously. And who was that poor soul? Of course, none other than Sullivan Day, who was minding her own business.
The boy swiveled her around roughly and shoved her against the metal of the lockers.
"What the fuck did you do to Patrick?!" The boy bellowed, jabbing a finger onto the girl's shoulder. "All he's talked about for the past two days is you!"
"Me?" She questioned absently, honestly baffled herself. She just stared at the boy, expressionless, and simply shrugged.
"Well you better figure it out soon! That mother fucker is driving me insane!"
"I think you handled that on your own," she couldn't help the mumbled retort from slipping past her lips.
Oops.
"What the hell did you just say?!"
Henry Bowers then gripped the girl by her sweatshirt collar and nearly lifted her off her feet.
This can't be good, the girl thought. Though, yet again, no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't muster up the fear she should have been feeling.
Before she knew it, the teen had slapped her across the face, her cheek blossoming into a deep shade of crimson. The crowd of students that had clustered gasped. None of the children really knew who she was, not even her name, really. She might as well have been a ghost, but every kid on the Bower's radar deserved sympathy. Especially those toe to toe with the leader of the Bower's Gang. They then watched in horror as he reeled his fist back, preparing to punch her straight in the face.
However, just before he could deliver the blow, a hand grabbed his arm, yanking it back.
"What the hell, Patrick?!" Henry snapped.
"Nah, this one's mine," he stated, his unwavering gaze boring into that of his friend's. Henry would never admit it, but deep down, Patrick scared him. He wasn't like the rest of them, he was worse; not even Henry could match the level of sadism that was Patrick Hockstetter. He didn't have any empathy for any other person, but little did Henry know that was because Patrick didn't think any of them even existed.
"Fine, she's a fucking freak anyways. Look at her," the boy spat.
Sullivan stood there, her face neutral as always, the hand print on her cheek not even seeming to faze the girl.
Henry stalked off, Victor and Belch glancing at Patrick and Sullivan one last time before following after. The crowd slowly dispersed. Some kids might have even approached the nameless girl to ask if she was okay, however, none did. Not with Patrick Hockstetter standing right next to her.
"You're welcome," he said harshly, after a beat of silence.
"Uh, thanks," she said dubiously. She hadn't asked him for his help, why should she thank him?
"See? I'm better than you, I'm stronger than you, got that? You need me, so don't be getting any ideas, understand?" Patrick asked carefully. He wanted to make sure as the only real creatures, that they were on the same page. He wanted to make sure she wouldn't even try to overthrow him. However, yet again, Sullivan had no idea what he was talking about, but decided to play along.
"Yeah, I understand," she grumbled, sighing. She turned to leave, but he yanked her back by her hood.
"Nuh-uh, you're coming with me, sunshine," he demanded. Not waiting for a response, he began dragging her behind him in the opposite direction she intended on going. "I wanna keep my eyes on you," the lanky teen stated, licking his lips.

Well, shit.

To be continued....

   A/N: lol, Wattpad actually deleted this chapter a while back and I was so mad, but then it randomly popped up again and I decided to finish it. There's gonna be a second part along with Venus Flytrap and Newbie. Sorry if y'all didn't like it (it was kinda all over the place) but I hope you did 👉👉 ( those are finger guns by the way).
    Side note, do y'all like the mood boards I make for each new character? I just wanna see if anybody actually looks at them, but even if y'all didn't I would still make them because I actually love  doing it 😭😭😂.