Day Seven - Jake

***Jake***

I woke up early, around 3am, with an empty feeling inside of me. I never got to town - I went all the way back home, praying Emma wasn't with Darren. Half of me wanted to find his girlfriend and tell her he was cheating, but I know he's cleverer than that. He was bound to have a story already. The other half of me wanted to speak to Emma. I didn't know what I wanted to say - shout at her? Tell her I love her? An idea struck me.

I rushed to my coat and searched the pockets for the poem I'd written. It was crumpled, and it seemed pathetic to read it over... But girls were bound to love that sort of thing.

There was a message on my phone from Lauren, when I checked, which said 'Good morning xxx'. I texted back 'And to you x', having decided that three kisses is a little too much to give someone I only met the day before.

Sapphire and I left for school together for once which meant having to make Smalltalk.

"So, Jake, still single?" she sniggered.

I contemplated over what I should answer. Maybe I could pretend Emma was my girlfriend? Or Lauren? But Saph can figure me out in an instant, I could never lie to her.

"Yes..." I said. Before she had time to make a remark, I asked her a question, "And you?"

She looked surprised for a moment then laughed it off, hitching up her skirt a little. Was that her answer? That she was willing to tease and not please?

"Well, are you?" I demanded.

"Not now..." she mumbled. A group of boys sauntered past, wolf-whistling at my little sister. It was slightly disturbing, and I had the sudden urge to knock them all out.

Once they'd passed, she looked at me with wild eyes, "Isn't he adorable? My boyfriend!" She giggled about him the whole journey to school. My little sister has a boyfriend and I can't get Emma... Is my life really that terrible?

I saw Emma within an instant, Darren was still standing frighteningly close to her, one hand placed firmly on her waist as she queued up at reception. It was killing me to see him with her. He was whispering into her ear, but the smile on her face was forced. I could see the pain in her eyes as she looked up at the ceiling, blinking quickly, willing herself not to cry. I didn't know what was wrong, but she was hurt and so I felt hurt too.

I stormed over to them, deciding I needed to speak to them both together. So what if Darren beat me up? I could get Callum and the guys to get him back anytime.

Darren saw me coming and, for a moment, I thought I could see a flicker of fear in his eyes. But instead of cowering away like I would've done, he stood up straight and inched a little closer to Emma.

A plan had formed in my mind, and I reached for the poem in my pocket. It was now or never. When there was only one person ahead of Emma in the queue I stepped closer to her.

"Emma, isn't it?" I said, pretending as if she wasn't what was on my mind every moment of the day.

"Yes..." she said, looking up nervously to Darren who was giving me a deadly stare. I could've sworn I saw him mouth 'come at me, bro'.

"I gotta get to class, so would you mind taking this?" I asked, handing her the screwed up poem. Darren looked at it, confused. Maybe he'd been imagining a proper fight.

"Sure, do you want me to hand it in or something?" she smiled. Again, though, the smile was forced. There was no light in her eyes. Maybe because she doesn't believe in love...

"No..." I swallowed anxiously. "Just...read it..."

She took it and placed it in her pocket and Darren began to move his hands down her waist. I sucked in my breath, trying not to get mad, because that was what he wanted.

"Darren...please..." she muttered as I walked away.

"But the deal was...You stay in my house whilst your shit parents have kicked you out coz that's what you want. And, in return, I get what I want..." he said. His voice was so quiet, I could've imagined the words he said. My hands clenched into fists. Please let her read the note, fall in love with me and get rid of Darren. Please. Please?