Day Seven - Emma

***Emma***

Darren was driving me insane. He was so much more demanding than he used to be. When I first met him, we acted like a couple in love - just without being 'official'. But now he was standing so close to me I can hardly breathe... And not in a good way. It's was as if he was trying to suffocate me, or warn of any strangers.

Last night, when we'd returned from shopping, he got to talking with me and told me what we were going to do...

"Emma, babe," he'd said, holding my hands. "You can stay here for as long as you want. I'll look after you..."

"Really?" I'd said. How could I have been so foolish as to let him know just how desperate I was?

He'd smiled, "Yes, Emma. Just..."

He had been hesitating for so long, I was anxious to hear what he had to say, "Just? Just what?" I said shakily.

"Well," he said coyly. "I'm being really generous and giving you what you want. Aren't I?"

I didn't reply.

"Aren't I?" he said, a little louder.

"Yes, Darren, you're being so generous," I whispered.

"That's right," he said. "And so it would be unfair if I was doing all of this for nothing, wouldn't it?"

"Yes it would," I said, my voice was barely audible. I knew what was coming.

"Well then," he smiled. "You need to let me have what want too..."

"And what's that?" I said fearfully, I didn't want to hear his reply.

He pulled me close to him and put his lips against my ear, "I want you to do whatever I want. It's only fair, Emma. I'm doing what you want... Now you should do me this favour in return..."

I didn't even speak, I just nodded. Where had the sweet and unsuspecting Darren gone? He was there for a moment, and, just like last time, he was gone. But he was all I had - Mum and Dad weren't going to let me back now and Anna's parents are too strict to let me stay over for longer than a general sleepover. Without him, I'm homeless - or in care. So I had no choice but to do what he wanted...And he wanted a lot from me.

*

I had finally gotten away from him at lunch when I'd told  him I needed the toilet. Anna came in with me, asking me whether or not we were dating again. I didn't want to speak to her about her stupid childish gossip so I ran into a cubicle and burst into silent tears.

I cried for 10 minutes, Anna had given up trying to talk to me and had gone outside to fetch Darren. I searched my pockets for a tissue to clean up my face because there were tears streaming down.

But, instead of tissues, I found the screwed up paper that the boy, Jake, had given me in the morning. I unscrewed the paper and read:

Emma,

I was going to write you a poem...But then I remembered I can't rhyme to save my life. So I thought I'd just let you know something I've been making to say...

I like you a lot. I think you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. I love your hair and your eyes and your smile and your everything.

I know you like Darren or whatever... But I'm just saying: give me a shot, give me a chance to win you over. You won't regret it. Because I don't think that guy could ever love you like I want to...

Jake

I stared at it, my cheeks were flushing, my heart thumping. That was both so sweet and so strange. He was in love with me? I wiped my eyes, and got out of the cubicle. Maybe he could be a way of escaping Darren? I mean, he's quite cute and funny and he can play the guitar. I guess I owe him a chance...

I spotted him on the way out of the toilets, he was looking at me, and I threw him a smile and held up the note. He looked both embarrassed and happy. I giggled - I didn't even know why, it's not like I had a crush on him.

Then suddenly I felt Darren's hand clasp hold of the note in mine and both of our faces shadowed over.

There was no other way to put it:

Oh shit.