Chapter 12

"I'm fine," I knew that I should tell Natsu the truth, but after looking at everyone laughing in the diner, I just couldn't. Not now. I didn't want to bother him with my feelings at the moment. Natsu let a sigh escape his lips, a sign that he would be giving into the defeat for a bit. But knowing Natsu, I knew he would ask later. I gave him a small smile.

"Let's just go inside, okay?" I suggested as he nodded, his mind clearly elsewhere. We walked into the diner, as I had mentally forced myself to not think of my past. 

"So, Lucy, you're gonna help out with the dance?" Mira asked as I nodded with a smile.

________________________________________________________________________________

After eating a good dinner with my friends, Natsu and I had started to head home, telling Natsu that I was tired and wanted to take a shower we seperated paths, Natsu going into the kitchen with his mom, and me going into the shower. When I had left the shower I heard shouts from Natsu in the kitchen. I pulled on a hoodie that had been mistakenly put into my laundry basket, it was Natsu's. It was grey, and over sized but it was comfortable. After putting on some shorts my attention focused on the shouting.

"Mom, you can't be serious!" Natsu?

"Hun, I know you're angry with Zeref but he's part of the family too, he's going to join us on our Christmas vacation." His mom sounded strict on the answer, it was final it seemed. 

"Mom. He left us right when we needed him and you're just going to-to, welcome him back with open arms!?" His voice stuttered and cracked. I felt like it wasn't right to eavesdrop, but I was curious. This was my first time hearing something about Natsu's childhood. I peeked out my door, seeing Wendy peeking out her own door, which sat across from mine, as well. We looked at each other before I suddenly saw Wendy's eyes get teary. I kneeled down and opened my arms, Wendy immediately accepting the invitation as I wrapped her in my arms. Her being quite light I stood, holding her in my arms as she let out quiet sobs. I knew that if she continued to hear this conversation it would only worsen, but I had also known that if I closed my door you would still hear the shouting. So, I gained a bit of courage and walked into the hallway, and into the kitchen. Natsu and Beatrix immediately turned their attention to me.

"I'm sorry... That sounded like an important conversation... but- could you uhm... quiet down just a bit? I-I don't mean to be rude! I-I swear it's just, Wendy is crying and-and-" Beatrix let out a sigh and walked over to me, taking Wendy from my arms. Natsu walked over to me and rubbed my head. "C'mon. Let's go." Through his voice, I knew he was still irritated, but I let it slide, just for while we are walking.

As soon as Natsu walked into my room I closed the door and sat on my bed next to him.

"I know it's not my place to pry but... What's going on?" I asked, slightly nervous about asking the personal question. Natsu looked at me and let out a deep sigh.

"My mom is inviting my brother, Zeref, to our Christmas vacation. As you may have guessed... Our relationship isn't exactly great. He left us when I was at a young age right when I needed him most. He left when my father was murdered, with no explanation." Natsu's fists were clenched, and his eyes seemed watery. I couldn't help it, I hugged him. He seemed shocked by the action as I hugged him tighter.

"You seemed like you needed a hug" I could feel Natsu rest his head on my shoulder as he wrapped his arms around me. I felt warm drops of water fall on the hoodie I was wearing. If even possible I hugged him tighter. We sat like this for awhile, Natsu not letting us move until his eyes were completely clear of tears. When he pulled away he smiled a sad smile at me.

"Thanks, Luce." He sniffed in quickly, pulling his hands to his sides. I nodded as he stood.

"I'll let you sleep, mkay...?" He said it as if it was a question, though I didn't want him to leave, just by looking at him I could tell he was tired, so I nodded. He left the room with a yawn that he had tried to hold back as I gave him a smile. Just before he closed my door he looked at me and said with a devilish smirk, "My shirt looks good on you," Before leaving.

With a heated face, I forced myself down onto the soft blankets of my bed, closing my eyes slightly.

__Flashback__ 

The tall figure edged nearer. I knew who it was. It was a man who was called my dad. But this wasn't the dad I remembered. The dad I remembered smiled all the time and took weekends off to take me to the ice cream shop in the town. This man smelled weird. Smelled tart. He had a venomous gaze. He edged nearer as I pleaded for him to leave.

"L-Leave me alone!" I had shouted, he didn't listen, he walked over with a knife and pushed it against my arm.

"P-Please! S-Stop!" I cried out in pain.

Luce!

The man continued. "Nobody loved you. You're worthless. Your an idiot. Why are you here?" The man had screamed as he threw the knife at a nearby wall.

Luce! Luce wake up!

"S-STOP!" Tears were streaming down my cheeks as the man threw his fist at my stomach.

LUCE! It's a nightmare, Luce! 

someone was shaking me. Who was that? The man continued screaming before grabbing his bottle and hurdling it towards me

I shot awake, Natsu was above me, looking at me with a worried expression. My cheeks were wet with warm tears, and more seemed to stream down. Everything had gone by in a blur, I was sitting up hugging Natsu, crying out the word 'Mom', while tears seemed to be leaving my eyes with an endless supply.

Natsu's P.O.V.

She was in my arms crying out for her mom. I had figured out that she was deceased and I could only sympathize with Luce. I saw myself in her crying figure. All I could do was hug her tighter as her sobs slowly got quieter, her voice never stopping to repeat the word, 'Mom'. Luce suddenly got quieter before she had spoken up again,

"I'm sorry," Her voice was quivering.

"No reason to be sorry Luce... Are you okay?" I asked yet, I knew the true answer. She wasn't. Her body was shaking and tears still silently left her eyes. I looked at her again before moving my arms so it was almost as if I was cradling her, I brought her into my room and laid her on my bed, tucking the covers all around her as I went to go lay next to her, my arms wrapping around her again.

"I'm right here, you're safe, you're not alone," I murmured as her breaths went from out of place beats to a steady pace.