As soon as he started walking, she sped off to stand in front of the short bookcase and observe each one in detail before making her final and very important choice. She was vaguely conscious of the couple of people watching her from behind their books and the even larger amount of strangers staring from across the room.

A gasp escaped her as hands abruptly yanked her back into a body, where she was spun so her front touched a hard chest and her startled eyes met Seth's angry ones. He leaned down close enough for her to feel his breath on her face and roughly said, "don't run away from me."

She stood still, wondering why she fit so perfectly in a stranger's arms and why she liked being close to him so much. Not wanting him to be angry, she cautiously rubbed her hand over his chest in a soothing manner. "P-please don't be a-angry."

His previously tense muscles relaxed with her gentle gesture. After a while, he slowly pulled away a little, putting a hand on her hip and ran the back of his fingers over her flushed cheek. "Sorry, my angel. I don't want you to be away from me with all these men around."

Daisy understood because who knew how many murderers were in the room with her at that moment. She, however, didn't understand why he would care whether she was safe or not. She decided not to dwell on their moment and focus on what she was excited about in the first place.

"Can I read now?" she smiled shyly at him.

"Choose one." he gestured to the books with an encouraging smile. This time a little more nervously, she walked over and continued to read the spines, occasionally picking one up to read the blurb. Behind her, she heard Seth say in a low voice, "scram."

Daisy turned around and witnessed the scrawny looking inmates running out of their seats in fear of Seth. "Don't do that." She pouted, looking out at the only people she could've had a decent conversation with.

"Don't do what?" He asked with confusion.

"Be mean." Her eyes tried to avoid his, afraid he'd grow angry at her for telling him off with the sudden bravery she found. But, it was like her eyes were drawn to his as if they were magnets. She couldn't help but look at them.

He gave her an amused smile. "I'm mean?" Hesitantly, she nodded. "It's who I am, little kitten." Daisy scrunched her nose at the new nickname. "Don't like it?" He asked, refering to the name. She shook her head in response. "You're like a kitten. You jump at loud noises and your claws come out...occasionally."

"I like puppies more than kittens." She said, not responding to his teasing smile.

Daisy finally settled on a book that she had read a long time ago. Most of them were quite old and not well looked after so there wasn't much choice if she wanted one with all of the pages intact. "Are you not reading?" Daisy asked Seth when she saw him just watching her with his arms crossed, making his muscles bulge in his top.

Seth shook his head and sat down on the battered couch. "Why don't you read to me?" He suggested.

Not seeing why not, she shrugged and went to sit next to him, tucking her legs comfortably next to her side. "Have you read this one before?" She asked him curiously, now feeling more comfortable around her supposed protector.

"No. I don't really have time to read." He said softly in her ear as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders to pull her closer. Daisy let her hair fall in between them, hoping to hide the blush that sprouted from his casual action.

"W-well, you'll like this one." She told him and then busied herself with flipping through the opening title pages, before finally saying, "I'd never given much thought to how I would die."