The Switch-Up

The Switch-Up

I don't know what happens when niggas get to college! I guess all these loose li'l girls walking around letting them do whatever they want has them feeling bold or something. Guys do the absolute most when they start thinking they're the hottest thing walking around on campus, especially when they go Greek honey! You can't tell them anything, not even when you're their girlfriend.

By the time we got to Laketon State, Tony and I started falling off. We were rocking heavy for that first month of our freshman year but he switched up once he started hanging around his weed-head, thot boy roommates. Those boys were going to every party that was thrown on and off Laketon State's campus. They were never in class though. Pretty soon, Tony started rocking with them. Isn't that a pretty bad look? I'm striving towards being on the dean's list for my first semester and my stupid boyfriend is getting caught up in weed and parties because of who he lives with.

I didn't give up on him though I had to get my nigga back on track because he was about to fly off the rails, crash and explode! It was an early October night when I finally got him to talk to me. We went out to the fountain on the quad and sat on the bench. I tried my best to talk sense into him.

"Tony, what's wrong with you?"

He was on his phone not even paying me any attention. "What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about boy!"

He smacked his lips. "You ain't saying anything!"

I got frustrated and snatched the phone out of his hands. He tried to take it away from me but I held it away from his reach.

"Tony stop! You need to listen to me."

"Carmen, I'm warning you. Give me back my phone."

"Not until you listen to me."

"You're not about to say anything different than what you've tried to tell me before."

"How do you know that until you listen to what I have to say."

He folded his arms, leaned back and looked at me. "Fine, I'm listening."

I rolled my eyes at the fact he was acting like such a child and said, "Tony, you're not going down the right path. I understand you trying to have fun and enjoy life a little but hanging with those dorm niggas isn't gonna do anything for you!"

"How do you know?"

"For one, they never go to class. Two, they're literally idiots that aren't going to do anything for you like I just said. You're starting to turn out just like them."

He smacked his lips again and pushed himself up off of the bench. "Whatever man. You're always trying to judge people."

I closed my eyes and sighed. I hated to put him out there, especially in a public place, but I had to put him in check.

"Tony, you're failing three of your five classes."

He immediately turned around. "What?"

"You're failing three of your five classes and it shows on your midterm grades."

He walked towards me with his face all scrunched up. "How do you even know that?"

"I talked to your advisor in the Terry building Mrs. Reshonda. She's concerned about you and she's told you to come see her and you haven't. Since she couldn't get you, she called me."

"She isn't even supposed to do that! Why are even worried about my grades?"

"I care about you. I'm your girlfriend after all."

He sat back down on the bench and put his focus on the water coming from the fountain. "You just don't understand."

"Help me understand then. Let's actually talk for a change. That's something we haven't done in a while."

"These classes are hard! I'm a biology major. Plus, I'm a support student. If I don't get this I'm gone. That's pressure, pressure you don't even have to deal with!"

"Why didn't you tell me this?"

"There's no need to. You're not trying to listen."

"I'm listening now aren't I?"

"Yeah, after you finally realized that being my Momma isn't your job."

I squeezed my fists together. Tony was and still is a hardhead! I just don't know what it is with guys and their crazy egos. He still wasn't trying to listen so I had to go even deeper.

"I'm not here to argue with you Tony. I'm just letting you know that you need to find some way to get your grades back right or your dream of pledging Upsilon Phi Kappa in a year or two is dead."

He turned and looked at me with shock on his face. He covered my mouth and said, "If you don't shut up saying that all out loud out here!"

I knocked his hand from off me and replied, "Well, you're not listening to me so I'ma keep it real! That dream is definitely gonna die if you don't get your act right."

He sat there quiet for a second, then shook his head and said, "Man, whatever."

I sighed and leaned in close to him. "You should want to pass your classes so you can graduate and make your parents proud but, if that doesn't motivate you, remember that you want to be a UPK man in the future. You're off your goal right now but I'm willing to help you out if you want."

"I guess."

I smiled, satisfied that he actually listened to me after what felt like an hour of trying. It's a shame that it took me reminding him that he wanted to join Upsilon Phi Kappa, one of the most popular fraternities on the campus of Laketon State, to get him to focus on his grades but it worked. He ended up getting C's in those three classes he was failing and B's in the other two. Then, I started really staying on him about his work and he got all A's, B's and C's to round up the second semester of freshman year.

Sophomore year he started trying to get involved on campus, mainly to impress the UPK's. I guess they like what they saw because he went to an interest meeting and they started taking him through the pledge process. You want to know how I know? He fell off speaking to me. I was cool with it because I knew what it was. Then, I started hearing around campus that Tony was talking to somebody that wasn't me. I've never been one to entertain rumors but I started taking things seriously when Olivia, my roommate and the time and one of my close friends told me that he saw him with her one night.

"Girl, I was over at the University Apartments across the street from Laketon and I saw his car over at Lauren's apartment. I saw when he walked out to. They kissed and everything!"

I did some investigating and found out that Lauren was a Phi Lamda, the sister organization of the UPK's. She was a senior and had been talking to Tony for a while. She was even his sponsor during his process. She was paying money for this man to pledge! You have no idea how much I wanted to beat that girl's face in! It wasn't her fault though.

Even if Lauren knew we were together, it wasn't her fault that she was messing around with Tony. It was his fault! He's the one that should've deaded the issue. He should've let it be known that he has a girlfriend and his girlfriend isn't into sharing niggas. I'm not the weekend, I'm his Sunday-Saturday! I confronted him about what I found out and he tried to deny it at first!

"You always believing all these other people. Olivia stays lying! Why would you believe her now?

Even when I came to him with proof, pictures mind you, he found a way to flip it on me.

"She's been supporting me from day one and not lecturing me like my Momma. She was down for me pleading and didn't try to use it against me like you did. Plus, she's putting money down on it. You definitely can't do that for me."

Was this boy serious? I was the reason that he could even be on line! I doubt the UPK's, of all the frats on the yard, would let anybody cross with three F's on their transcript. I didn't know that I decided to get into a relationship with a childish baby that couldn't control himself when he got to college and even tried to lie in my face about something I knew was a fact.

I still stayed with him though. Things got worse too.

➠➠➠➠