12- February 25th

I went to bed on February 24th crying. This could be the last day of my son's life, and he hadn't even been born yet. I was scared.

The next morning my mom and I went to the hospital. They went through all the scans and tests that they had to and gave me all the medication I needed. And then I was rolled in. I brought only my mom with me. I knew Daniel would have wanted to be there, but I didn't want him there so I decided to not tell him anything until after we were out of the woods.

The moment I heard him cry I couldn't help but smile. I was able to hold him for a few seconds before they cleaned him up and whisked him away into surgery. I was stitched back up and brought back to my room. I was still crying, from happiness and fear. My mom held my hand tight.

"What do you want to name him?" She asked.

I thought for a second.

"I don't know. I like Luke."

"I love it," she said, smiling.

2 hours later, the surgeon finally came in.

"Hello, Ms. Henley."

My mom and I both looked up.

"I'm pleased to tell you that your son's surgery went great. You'll be able to spend some time with him in a few hours."

My eyes welled up with tears.

"Thank you," I said.

My mom and I embraced. I had never been happier.

I had some lunch and a couple hours later Luke was brought into my room. He was hooked up to all sorts of machines and had a breathing tube in.

He was so beautiful. I was able to hold him on my chest for a few minutes. I never imagined meeting him would be so amazing.

Later in the day, my siblings all came in, along with my dad. My big sister and brother had been able to come in from college. My other brother was a year younger than me and my younger sister was just 3. She loved seeing Luke.

Allie, Oliver, and the girls came in. They were now 10 months old. As soon as Allie saw Luke, she gasped and ran over.

"Hallie, he's beautiful," she said.

Luke was asleep in his bed next to mine.

"Can I see the girls?" I asked. I hadn't been able to see them in forever.

"Of course!"

She picked up Maddie and handed her to Oliver. He wheeled over to me to see Luke.

Allie picked up Olivia and brought her over to me. I sat her down on the bed next to me.

"This girl's almost walking," she said, referencing Olivia.

"Really?" I asked, "That's awesome."

Allie sat down on the bed next to me.

"Have you talked to Daniel?" she asked.

"No. I was going to tell him tonight."

"He doesn't even know he was born?"

"No, but I'll text him soon."

"Oh yeah, have you decided on a name?" She asked.

"Luke."

"I love it," she said, looking adoringly at him.

Allie and Oliver stayed for about 45 minutes, and after everyone left, Luke was taken to be watched overnight in the NICU. I decided it was finally time to tell Daniel.

I texted him a picture of Luke, and nothing else. He responded right away.

"Is that our son ?!?!"

"Yep," I replied, "he was just born earlier today."

"When can I see him?" He asked.

"He's in the NICU overnight but you can come tomorrow. His surgery went well."

"That's amazing- what's his name?"

"Luke."

"That's perfect."