X. The Black Star

Karliah thought she had panicked when Macayla got hurt, but Brynjolf was more so. He never once left her side when they made camp in a close cropping of trees away from the ambush site. She kept reassuring her husband that she was alright, but his watchfulness didn't lessen much. Once he felt sure that she could walk, they started again for the mountain south of Winterhold.

As they trudged their way up the mountain to Azura's shrine, Karliah kept repeating what her mother had told her about the Daedric Lord. Azura is the Goddess of Dusk and Dawn, and can see into the Twilight of the future and guide her followers through it. The only artifact that she knew was paired with the Daedric prince was Azura's Star. What it could do was hazy to Karliah, but how could it help them?

A colossal statue appeared as they crested the top and grew bigger and bigger the closer they got. The statue of Azura holding a sun in one hand and a crescent moon in the other was far larger than Meridia's. She didn't stand atop a temple but on the mountain itself, with steps twisting and turning up to reach her.

They headed up the steps to stop at the actual shrine and a woman in hooded robes praying at it.

Macayla looked at Karliah; with a quick swallow, she stepped forward.

"Umm, excuse me?"

The woman's hands lowered and turned to face them; she was a Dark Elf.

"Greetings; I am Aranea Ienith. Azura has seen your coming, travelers. It was not curiosity, but fate, that has led you here."

Understanding dawned on her. "You have the gift of foresight."

She nodded. "Indeed. Azura has given me that gift. I had a vision of you three walking up the steps to this altar long before any of you were born." Aranea looked directly at Karliah. "But you, you have been chosen to be her champion. I know it is unexpected, but do not worry. It will all unfold as she has predicted."

"What does Azura need?"

"You must go to a fortress endangered by water, yet untouched by it. Inside, you will find an elven mage who can turn the brightest star as black as night." She gave an apologetic smile. "It is cryptic, I know, but Azura's signs are never wrong. I believe the fortress may refer to Winterhold. Ask if they know this elven enchanter."

They left the priestess to head to Winterhold.

***

Knowing inns were great places to pick up rumors, they headed for The Frozen Hearth. The memory of the last time they were here flashed through Karliah's head: discussing Gallus' journal with Enthir; their trip to Markarth; Macayla and Brynjolf kidnapped by Edvar Clear-Blood; his death, and Enthir translating Gallus' journal, bringing Mercer Frey's crimes to light. She bet the others were having flashbacks as well. She wondered if Enthir would be inside...

They took a moment to get warm by the fire and to look over the patrons for an elven mage; no one was an elf or dressed like a mage. Since this was her mission, Karliah headed over to the innkeeper if he knew one; he pointed over to a side room to find a Nelacar.

Inside, they found a seated High Elf dressed in mage robes with the hood up. He watched their approach with shrewd eyes.

"Are you the mage who studies stars?" Karliah asked.

His eyes narrowed. "Who sent you? Was it the College? The Jarl? We agreed there would be no more questions."

"A priestess of Azura sent us."

"You're working with the Daedra? Right," he said sarcastically. "Now tell me the one about the Argonian Maid and the lusty baron."

"We don't have time for games," Brynjolf said. "Talk."