mr. park nodded in disappointment, standing up with a scowl nagging at his lips, and shrugged his cold jacket on.

"pardon me for asking, sir," the nurse continued, "but are you, perhaps, her boyfriend?"

mr. park chuckled at her question, not finding it wise to answer it, and instead replied with, "let me know if you need anything from me. i'm just a phone call away." jay couldn't contain her smile any longer. her cheeks enlarged as she flashed her teeth, eyes still tightly closed. "goodbye, miss parker," he teasingly sang when he noticed her break out of her simulated sleep.

"goodbye, sexy," she laughed as she crossed her arms over her face to hide her blush. jay peeked an eye out once the door shut behind him, and she was soon met by the undeceived stare of the young nurse.

jay's parents arrived a good thirty minutes after mr. park's departure, and once all the right paperwork had been read and signed, jay was finally taken in for her medical examination.

"last night, she was given some pain medication to help with the soreness around her neck. we also found additional bruising on her legs, waist, and abdomen," the doctor explained to her mother—because her dad had gone out to clear his head from the frustration of the news. "we expect a fast recovery, but we still suggest jay see a professional to help her cope mentally."

jay tightly held on to her mother's hand like a child, tears swarming in her eyes as they were both led into the next hospital room for additional checkups, and heaved a sigh as she sat on the exam table.

"you just tell me who the bastard is, and i'll make sure he can never walk or reproduce again," her mom furrowed her eyebrows, and jay forced out a laugh.

"it doesn't hurt as much anymore, and i actually slept pretty well," she tried to steer away from the topic.

"that doesn't mean he shouldn't get punished for what he did," her mother rebuked. "and don't you even think about being all like, 'oh, but the last thing i want to do is look at his despicable face again. let's just forget this all happened and not press charges,' because i'll seriously hurt you, jay."

"okay, duh, i'm not that stupid," she snorted at her mom's surprisingly-accurate impersonation of her. "obviously i want his ass thrown in jail. i don't care if he goes to my school, he–"

"wait, how do you know he goes to your school?" she tilted her head a bit to emphasize her curiosity.

"b-because he mentioned something about jungkook, a-and–"

"wait a minute, honey, how did you even get to the hospital in the first place?" her mother questioned, realizing that that was the only piece of information she'd been missing.

"you're right. i don't want to look at his face. the condition it was left in, i imagine, would be enough to cause me nightmares for weeks," jay stared at the ground pensively. she hadn't gotten the chance to look at the boy after she was rescued, but she knew, by the cracking sounds that had echoed every time mr. park struck his fist to the boy's face, that things did get quite brutal. "i-i don't want to talk about it anymore. please."

"alright, honey. let's just wait for the doctor to come in, then," her mother rubbed her shoulder soothingly.

jay then lost herself in her thoughts, stupidly grinning as she thought about last night's kiss with mr. park, accidentally ignoring her mother's complaints about her miserable time at work.