Chapter 5: Haunting

In the Heavens

*pardon me, my editing sucks*

Sounds of water twirling gently in the quiet space relaxes the tension of a man. He was by the side of a reflection pool, twirling the emerald coloured water round and round. Tiny waves slowly formed and a clear vision of a village reflected in the pool.

"

The coronation day is drawing closer." He spoke to another person with a voice that's only meant to be heard for himself. 

"We will need bring in the bride soon to prove that the heir is worthy." A boy with silver long hair said as he stared at his Master.

The reflection of the village zoomed to focus on a particular human who was accompanied by a boy of unknown.

There's two more years left before she turns 18...That's too late.

//

Present

The way back home was terrible. It shouldn't felt that way but Qin was really down. Everything that she had wished for was ruined by her own decisions.

Why does loving a person hurts so much?

Qin passes by the gates of her house, wanting to just extend her time alone before having to face her parents.

If only I'm not the girl Junhyung likes...

She thought as she walked further in to the forest. Before she knew it, she was already in deep inside. She heard a crying from somewhere and panicked.

It was told that a female ghost would cry at night to attract humans so that she could possess them and be human herself.

"W-who's crying?" Qin questioned aloud despite the scary story but there was no answer.

The crying sound grew louder as if it was just standing beside her. She screamed and quickly ran.

"Please help me." She heard a child spoke and she turned.

The child was exotic looking, or rather he looked like a fox. He had orange hair and golden eyes as he seek help from Qin.

Qin thought she had seen wrongly but it never came to her mind that the child could be a threat.

"I am lost. Can you bring me back in to the village? It's late and I'm hungry." The child pleaded sadly as he approached Qin.

Unable to leave the poor child alone, Qin closes the gap between them and agreed.

"Well...if I am not wrong, this should be the way back." Qin suggested as she pointed towards a direction that she was unsure of.

"Ok...I will follow you closely." The child said.

No sooner, they arrived at the top of the hill where the temple resides. Qin knew she had went the wrong way but maybe she could ask the monks in the temple for help?

"Sniff...sniff..." The child wouldn't stop crying. His body was shaking in fear and he rubbed his eyes. 

"I'm sorry...it seemed like I am lost myself too. But not worry, we are at the temple now. You stay here while I will go in and ask for help." Qin suggested to the child but he suddenly clinged on to her tightly.

"No! I want to go with you!" He cried.

"Please, if you just let me go I can call for help." Qin struggled as the grip got tighter.

Right at the moment, the child suddenly exclaimed. "Master, I've caught her!" 

Qin was utterly confused at the sudden exclamation, she couldn't quite get it.

"Who are you?!" She shrieked at the appearance of a silverhaired man. He had fox features like the child too and it looked terrifying.

His gaze boar into her eyes as if he might devour her any second.

"So you're the chosen girl..." The man mumbled to himself and a sly smile formed. "I must test if you're worthy for Habaek before you come to the Heavens." 

As soon as the man said that, Qin's body was lifted off the ground. She became numb instantly and she couldn't catch her breath.

It was as if something was choking her, preventing her from crying for help. She struggled to breathe.

The evil man smirked. He was having fun torturing the poor girl.

"Master, maybe you should go a little easy on her. Her face's turning purple. I'm afraid she might die." The child said with worry.

"But isn't that the main goal?" The man said sneakily.

"The Crown Prince wouldn't be happy if he knew you came to the human's world." The child reminded and that made the man stopped.

He gave one last tight squeeze before releasing the poor girl as she fell on to the ground. Coughing and gasping for breath as her face slowly turned red as blood rushes.

"Weak." The man insulted as he glared mercilessly down at Qin.

"How could you become the bride of Habaek when you can't even withstand me...? I cannot accept."

A strong wind blew, causing the sand from the ground to fly and the leaves from the trees to fall. A misty fog appeared and the man with the child was gone.

Qin was frightened to death from what she had experienced. The strangle mark on her neck haunted her throughout the night as the memory flashed back and forth.

Are they from the Heavens? Are they here to kill me? That doesn't make any sense. I'm not even 18 yet. 

"Habaek..." She unconsciously said the name aloud and it scared her.

Who is Habaek? Why does she fear the name so much?

She hid herself under the blanket for that night and squeezed her eyes shut in hope that the nightmare would go.

The next morning, Qin was extremely fatigue and horrible. She couldn't even respond when her mother came in to woke her up.

Surprisingly, the strangled marks were gone as if nothing happened. It could really had been a bad dream but it felt so real at the same time.

"Qin," Her father called across the table during breakfast and she jumped.

"W-what?!" She yelped unknowingly.

"Are you ok? You seemed to be really restless. Last night, you came home with a pale face. Perhaps you are falling sick soon?"

"I-I'm fine..." She lied.

"We heard from the neighbours already. Your mother and I were terribly sorry that you had broken up with Junhyung." His father brought up the topic.

"It's not your fault...we are just not meant to be. Remember? I am the God's bride. I must return at the age of 18." Qin couldn't believe how easy she had given in to her fate.

"Stop that. It won't happen! You are going to get married before 18 and live for long with your husband!" Her mother scolded as she was surprised.

"I don't know anymore. Every boys I met doesn't matches with my eight characters! I might as well just wait for my death!"

Her mother stood up and gave her a tight slap again.

"I don't want to hear you sprouting nonsense like this again! Come, it's time to go for your prayers."